• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tram

RaarR! SLM will getcha!!
Has anyone picked one of these up yet?

I don't think they are delivering until August. Look pretty sweet though. I was holding out on buying a handheld GPS until they had NEXRAD Wx radar on them, but it looks like I'm STILL gonna have to hold out since the 396's are going for $2500. Yikes!

Yeh, I was looking at a 430 in our RV but I think I may just go with the 396.. $2,500 over $10K sure sounds nicer. :) Then I can go ahead with the Dynon EFIS and an Autopilot. :)

There is a lot of bad things going on with the 396 being discussed on the CPA board, namely, they use a magnet in the "smart" antenna that is to be mounted on the dash of the airplane. Real smart huh? I have an e-mail from Garmin I will post later, suffice to say, wait until the next model. Besides, you can get them in a group purchase buy if you so wish thru me for 2355. More to come later.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea..

Keep us updated TDTurbo..

As far as the E-mail I sent to Aviation consumer regarding their review of the 396, here is their response,

Sigh.

Move the magnet away from the compass and the effect goes away. I did notice it and should have mentioned it.

Personally, I don't think it's a showstopper for buying it, as long as you are aware of it. At the moment, there's no better way to get NEXRAD.

Garmin may be persuaded to remove the magnet. It's there because the antenna is an all-market device meant for use in boats and cars. Making an aviation specific version without the magnet is expensive and Garmin chose not to.

If it were me, I'd just move magnet away from the compass.

Accidents? I don't think so....

Paul Bertorelli

Editor

Aviation Consumer

This was their response to my inquiry, they don't seem to get it. If some sharp plaintiffs attorney gets wind of this it could cause major problems for Garmin. On top of all that, the warrantee is void if you remove the magnet, so goes any logic there. The magnet has nothing to do with the antennas ability to acquire XM signals. It only serves as an easy way to attach the antenna to a "dash board" of a boat or car.

The group purchase is available to anybody that is still interested, just PM me and I'll give you the specifics.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back