• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"G650 Won’t Spread Its Wings at Aspen Airport"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, I'm sure once a dozen of these ends up in the hands of the uber rich and politically powerful who frequent Aspen, this'll be quietly changed...

Yeah, I'm sure once a dozen of these ends up in the hands of the uber rich and politically powerful who frequent Aspen, this'll be quietly changed...

Think again, seriously. There is more than one person that own BBJs that have beating their heads against the Pitkin County Board for years trying to get permission to operate their BBJs into ASE, the BBJ suffers from the wing-let problem as well. I know of one that sold his BBJ, bought a new 73-800, put the long range tanks in it with the corporate interior just so he could go into ASE, last I heard it is not allowed to spend the night, only can drop/pickup and relocate. They usually park on the south end of the airline ramp.

So if Pitkin County says no, you can pretty well can count on that. You should have seen how hard they fought against the four lane highway all the way into town, they fought that tooth and nail. Still lost though.

The fight over allowing a Mac Donald's to open in downtown Aspen could have been made into a movie. :p

If you are curious as to how I know so much about the local politics of Aspen is, back in the day, I stayed in Aspen so much I would go to the City Council and County Board meetings out of shear boredom. :bawling:

Think again, seriously. There is more than one person that own BBJs that have beating their heads against the Pitkin County Board for years trying to get permission to operate their BBJs into ASE, the BBJ suffers from the wing-let problem as well. I know of one that sold his BBJ, bought a new 73-800, put the long range tanks in it with the corporate interior just so he could go into ASE, last I heard it is not allowed to spend the night, only can drop/pickup and relocate. They usually park on the south end of the airline ramp.

So if Pitkin County says no, you can pretty well can count on that. You should have seen how hard they fought against the four lane highway all the way into town, they fought that tooth and nail. Still lost though.

The fight over allowing a Mac Donald's to open in downtown Aspen could have been made into a movie. :p

If you are curious as to how I know so much about the local politics of Aspen is, back in the day, I stayed in Aspen so much I would go to the City Council and County Board meetings out of shear boredom. :bawling:

I believe you are 100% correct. The locals have a lot to say about the matter and they are stubborn. Someday it may get changed, but it won't be easy.

Tough situation for Gulfstream. Greg Norman gave up his endorsement of the BBJ's in the 1990's because he couldn't get into the airports he needed to with the airplane.

G650 - ase

Simple solution ... paint a "G650 centerline 5 feet to the west of RWY 33's real centerline and you're in like flint! Heck, if I'm within 5 feet of a centerline I'm a happy camper!

TM

Latest resources

Back