G550 Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PapaSiera

Need some pay information for a possible posistion on a G550 in the midwest/south.
-- part 91
-- International/ all 4 cornors
-- 4 airplanes- 4-5 pilots per
-- large corporation
-- I will be a type rated FO
-- No experience on the G series

What would be a fair starting salary? What benefits should I expect from them?

Need some pay information for a possible posistion on a G550 in the midwest/south.
-- part 91
-- International/ all 4 cornors
-- 4 airplanes- 4-5 pilots per
-- large corporation
-- I will be a type rated FO
-- No experience on the G series

What would be a fair starting salary? What benefits should I expect from them?

Is it 2 weeks "on"/ 2 weeks "off" schedule???

You say its a "large corp":
-You should expect full medical, dental, vision. Most likely the company will pay for it 100%.
-15-30 days vacation per year (depends on the flying schedule)
-401K (not that their worth the hassle anymore)
-$80,000-$90,000 as FO

Having no experience means nothing, or at least it shouldn't. You'll be a qualified FO, you're their doing the same job as an experienced FO would be doing, you'll be the one that lands the plane safely if something happens to the PIC. You're worth just as much as a 10,000 hour G550 FO.

Ditto to what Fly91 says above. I'm gettin about the same $$$ in a IV with 75/25 split on health insurance and other bennies at no cost. With the way the world economy is going down the tubes right now, you are better off putting your retirement money in a mason jar and bury it in your back yard for at least 2 years. It'll be safer there.

Thanks for the response guys. Its a 2 weeks on/off deal.
I was thinking it should be somwhere in that range. My next question is raises. Should I expect anything more than a COL increase? Im 121, so Im used to seeing a pay chart to know where I stand.

also...Do you wait for somone to retire before you upgrade to capt? I have heard of some places that will upgrade you in a few years, and will just operate 2 capts. Not that its a huge deal, I just would like to know where I stand. Is expecting an upgrade within 5 years reasonable?

It's tough to say what raises will look like in '09 with this crappy economy. It's all about supply and demand and we're about to see a huge supply of qualified pilots (both airline and corporate). I'm sure all the tough guy internet liars will tell you to expect 10% a year but don't hold your breath.

Expecting to upgrade in 5 years is reasonable. It all depends on when they feel comfortable sending you to all four corners of the world as PIC. Could be much less than 5 years if you're a superstar.

With the following:

Midwest states
No Gulfstream time
FO position

I would consider $80,000 to be an excellent starting salary.

Thanks for all the help guys! So between 80-90k with medical and 401K

I get 4% match and a 2.5% definded contribution from my current company. What should one expect for this part 91 position?

PapaS--Read between the lines in Wolfpack's post. I started as PIC with no experience/type and a bunch of big airplane time (doesn't matter to 91 types but the insurance companies LOVE it) and got $85k first year.

Some operators use the COL in the Midwest as a reason to lowball the pay.

Being a pessimist when it comes to this business, I'd say $65-75k. Like Wolfpack said, if you get $85k, take it and run.

Good luck. TC

Thanks for all the help guys! So between 80-90k with medical and 401K

I get 4% match and a 2.5% definded contribution from my current company. What should one expect for this part 91 position?

Some companies don't give raises, but most 91 operators do. Mine for example, 3% a year for 5 years, then you're maxed out. But my company does not hire FO's, only PIC ready pilots. In the G550 world, you might very well be an FO for 5 years. But a fair deal is to get typed, then swap seats every leg so you can become a "cut loose" PIC as soon possible. But they may not do that because then they have to pay you as a PIC. Just depends, every company is different.

You might want to take whatever they want to start you at and not fight too hard, given the tough times right now. You're lucky jumping right into a G550 NOT being a PIC and having no G experience. You'll be a PIC soon enough.

Some companies don't give raises, but most 91 operators do. Mine for example, 3% a year for 5 years, then you're maxed out. But my company does not hire FO's, only PIC ready pilots. In the G550 world, you might very well be an FO for 5 years. But a fair deal is to get typed, then swap seats every leg so you can become a "cut loose" PIC as soon possible. But they may not do that because then they have to pay you as a PIC. Just depends, every company is different.

You might want to take whatever they want to start you at and not fight too hard, given the tough times right now. You're lucky jumping right into a G550 NOT being a PIC and having no G experience. You'll be a PIC soon enough.

Well put! TC

Latest resources

Back