• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

G100 Co-Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you typed? "Co-pilot" or co-captain? Any previous jet/135 experience? Is it a real G100 (Astra SPX) or an Astra?

The pay on that plane can vary widely around KBUR/KVNY.

G200

My starting pay in the G200 was $42K for F/O. I would expect that is would be a bit lower for the Astra, like $36K

aeronautic1 said:
My starting pay in the G200 was $42K for F/O. I would expect that is would be a bit lower for the Astra, like $36K
Yikes! Those are bottom feeder #'s. One of the KVNY/KBUR PT135 Astra operators was offering 55K for F/O. Further south there was a company offering 65K. Training was paid for and there was no contract. This was over a year ago.

I agree with HMR, assuming you have prior jet experience, a typed Astra co-pilot can command 55K or more. However, a low time person may only get the 36k range.

It seems like there are quite a few openings in this model aircraft around So Cal right now, I know of at least 4 operators that are looking for typed pilots. It would seem like an Astra job would be a good oportunity right now as the demand is there and they provide the oportunity to get some good International and Overwater experience as well.

Last edited:
aeronautic1 said:

those numbers are pretty goddam bad.

I started 5 years ago as a G200 F/O at 70K+

Prior to that flew an Astra - 75K+ (PIC). F/O's started on the Astra at 55K - this was a bottom feeder operation.

training paid for / no contract (kind of a given in my opinion.)

If someone pays you 36K as a typed, competent F/O (like upgradeable in a year) - I would be job shopping that type rating before the temp was dry.

36K for a typed F/O is absurd.

Thats Netjets pay man. Lets not try and go there - thier fight is hard enough.

--end of rant--

Last edited:
Bad pay+contract=Bad Job

Gulfstream 200- Good Info.

Just to give you an idea of what's out there, here's a response I got from a chief pilot a year ago when I was looking for an Astra job:
I just hired an experienced Captain yesterday. Starting him at $89K with a bump of another $2.5K in six months if he does well. On top of that we have a week's pay for Christmas bonus and a 10% of salary as an annual bonus. First year pay just over $100K.
I don't know what these guys do w/new FO's but I'll bet training is paid for and there's no contract.

BTW- I know of some other dept's that pay their Astra crews well.;)

HMR said:
Gulfstream 200- Good Info.

Just to give you an idea of what's out there, here's a response I got from a chief pilot a year ago when I was looking for an Astra job:
I just hired an experienced Captain yesterday. Starting him at $89K with a bump of another $2.5K in six months if he does well. On top of that we have a week's pay for Christmas bonus and a 10% of salary as an annual bonus. First year pay just over $100K.
I don't know what these guys do w/new FO's but I'll bet training is paid for and there's no contract.

BTW- I know of some other dept's that pay their Astra crews well.;)

I personally think its pretty normal for a good guy/gal to get paid well on equpiment like the Astra/Westwind/Galaxy/Hawkers etc.-mid size aircraft.

Owners want a good pilot who will stay with them for the duration. If they get a good person, they pay them to stay. (read 100K+ salary). Now, when a scumbag management company get their hands on it - different story...unless the owner steps in and takes care of his pilots (rare) Management companies are notorious for abusing pilots (like paying them 35K/yr) Captains also look to move on quickly. Its a constant revolving door - probably the first thing I look at when job searching-turnover.

I have had great jobs on these type aircraft! I would have stayed there for a long time....the only problem is these guys just dont keep aircraft too long. They always talk about upgrading to a Gulfstream, Falcon etc, but it rarely happens. A year or two down the line once the bills start rolling in, the trips space out more, mx gets pricy, and BAMM - the planes gone. I have seen it way too many times. I cant tell you how many times I have heard crews say "Oh, he can afford more, but dosen't see the need to" - yeah, right - Update those resumes boys.

Anyways, I certainly think one must know their worth when they job shop. Brand new to the business, very young - OK you might have a $hit job or two before joining the good side...so be it..but there is just no need to sell yourself short once you have some experience!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back