G IV navigation question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cl65@350

i was wondering if some of the corporate pilots can shed some light on the navigational capabilities of the newer GIV SP a/c. In paticular how is the capability flying in 3rd world countries? Is it still major pucker factor or has the GPS solved navaid problems worldwide?? thanks

You should have no problem operating anywhere..
Only place I cant give you any idea about is Africa. Never been there, never plan on going.
Just be sure you have the world in your database, Im sure a newer GIVsp has triple honeywell FMS's...I guess you could check ahead of time to insure RAIM is availiable in your areas, but I cant imagine that would be a problem.

Aspen accident? well, the NTSB report is readily availiable...It was night, weather was approx 300/1. Mins for the approach are around 2000/5 if I rememeber. That accident had nothing to do with Gulfstream or Aspen....unfortunantly. The Plane flew into the side of a hill while scud running FAR below minimums in one of the more challenging places to fly into.

Many companies will not operate into Aspen unless Daytime and the field is visible from Red Table (IAF) Those are fine with me.

Used to fly in Africa. When you look at the charts you will see each navaid has a black ball with the number 1 in it. The stands for Operation not continous. What it really means is DON'T PLAN ON IT WORKING, PERIOD! GPS works fine there. In fact that is about the only navais you can plan on. IRS/INS also works there. In some of the lower level countries (we are now talking 5th and 6th world) you will have to consider making your own approaches. Usually the local pilots can set you straight on the local game rules.

AS for ASE, I believe that the mins for a whiz were higher more like 2500 to 3000 and 5 miles.

I've never been to a third world country but I think you'll find the GIV-SP to be a very capable aircraft. Gulfstream 200 is correct, a GIV comes with triple Honeywell FMS, triple IRS, and dual GPS. If you go to FSI Savannah you'll find at least two guys that can teach you more about GPS than you care to know. I've been to a few different FSI locations and I've never seen as much emphasis placed on GPS operations as I have in SAV. They love the VNAV in Savannah and will instruct you to use it whenever possible. I can honestly say I've never flown anything other than an ILS or GPS approach in this airplane (except in the sim).

oops, forgot to add visual approach but we still use a psuedo glideslope with VNAV.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back