FY06 ACP Bonus

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When to Apply?

How soon should you start applying to the carriers/cargo before getting out? Also, are there companies out there that can turn an AF Hours Summary into a usefull product for a resume? To stay or go...an internal struggle that is extremely personal and unique to every family/person that has that choice offered. If you have a family include them in the decision...you may be surprised at the advice/feelings they will give you. There is a lot to be said for a retirement check at 42-45 year old along w/the benifits already mentioned. I'm still on the fence as well, but have 30 or so months to decide (not that I'm counting...well, I guess I am;)) . I think you have to set yourself up for sucess and open all the doors you can, so you can have control come decision time. Best of luck and God Bless.

2yr out, Get ATP/FEwritten / Medical. Apply to all airlines when in hand. Be truthful about availabilty. Update Monthly. As far as AF Flight Hours, Once you make AC, start tracking YOur PIC. Know aht flight you had the A Code and count that as PIC. You'll need to know this stuff for your ATP app as well.

Well...if you ask a guy who stayed until 20 if he values his retirement check, he will say "hell yes...its the best deal going..." However, my UPT classmate who flies with me at FDX and has about 2 million in real estate is thrilled he got out. So is another FDX bro who owns a water/coffee distributorship. I'm pretty happy with my lot in life... It all comes down to poker playing and how successful/lucky you feel. For every dude who limped back to active duty, there are some success stories on the outside. The question is, can YOU pick a path and not look over your shoulder?

Palace Chase

Anyone ever heard of someone taking the bonus, then applying for Palace Chase after 2-3 years? Would the AF be likely to approve the paperwork & forfeit the remaining portion of the unearned bonus? The whole point of Palace Chase is forgiving ADSC's for a xfer to the guard/reserve.... so this might be fair game. I couldn't find any verbage on AFPC's website that would exclude this. Anyone with any experience on this subject?

Bonus Blues turned Bonanza

Here's my take: In Jan 99 I put sep papers (for Nov 99) in and applied to the airlines. During the next several months a lot happened. The squadron CC floated possible assignments by me that would help me change my mind...NWA called for an interview (which I did not go to)...and then the AF offered that second tier bonus for the first time. With an assignment of choice (T-1/I had small kids and wanted to be home) and the 25K bonus to 20 years of Aviation Service, I pulled my separation papers (Aug '99) and stayed in. In CY2000 I was seriously bummed - I thought I made a HUGE mistake as everyone was getting hired and life for them was great. I could barely stand AETC (missed the trips, etc.). Then 9/11 and I re-adjusted my perspective. It was a huge score in that context. I stayed in for the flying jobs - I am at 20 years of Aviation Service in May '06 and have had a fly-only career. So, not too bad in hind-sight on my "gamble." Now, however, I'm at that same point - I need a job (kids are still in elementary school) to make ends meet and starting the app process again. That bridge is always there to cross sooner or later. Any FedEx pilots out there that can tell me how far out they interview? I applied in Sep for a Jan '07 availability...thanks for any help. 20 years goes by fast believe it or not.

Aviator 737 said:
Here's my take: In Jan 99 I put sep papers (for Nov 99) in and applied to the airlines. During the next several months a lot happened. The squadron CC floated possible assignments by me that would help me change my mind...NWA called for an interview (which I did not go to)...and then the AF offered that second tier bonus for the first time. With an assignment of choice (T-1/I had small kids and wanted to be home) and the 25K bonus to 20 years of Aviation Service, I pulled my separation papers (Aug '99) and stayed in. In CY2000 I was seriously bummed - I thought I made a HUGE mistake as everyone was getting hired and life for them was great. I could barely stand AETC (missed the trips, etc.). Then 9/11 and I re-adjusted my perspective. It was a huge score in that context. I stayed in for the flying jobs - I am at 20 years of Aviation Service in May '06 and have had a fly-only career. So, not too bad in hind-sight on my "gamble." Now, however, I'm at that same point - I need a job (kids are still in elementary school) to make ends meet and starting the app process again. That bridge is always there to cross sooner or later. Any FedEx pilots out there that can tell me how far out they interview? I applied in Sep for a Jan '07 availability...thanks for any help. 20 years goes by fast believe it or not.

It's taking four to six months after the "meet and greet" with your sponsor and ACP to get the interview. After the interview, you could start within 2 weeks, though I just had a buddy get a class date 6 weeks after his interview. If you're date of availability is over a year out, you're in good shape.

I just took the FY 05 bonus. I am a Maj who just finished my pilot training ADSC (late rated). I had actually decided to separate from the AF but still had some time remaining on another ADSC (beyond my pilot training one). I taked to AFPC to see if they would waive it under Force Shaping and they indicated that they would. Withy that, I interviewed with a major and was hired. Of course, in typical fashon, once my paperwork flowed, they turned me down and sent me to a staff job (luckily, the airline was very understanding and understands how the personnel weenies like to play tricks). Once this happened, it was a no-brainer...since I would have 16 years in before I would eligible to get out again.

I must admit, the money is nice and more and more the thought of a government pension/health care for life is appealing. Unfortuantley, I have not had the fly-only career that Aviator 737 has had...4 years non-rated and now a 3 year staff tour. Luckily, I have not completed my 2nd gate so I am pretty much assured to return to the cockpit for my last tour.

Also like Aviator 737, I often sit back and wonder what life on the other side would be like...although deep inside I think it worked out for the best. So, I just have to suck it up for a few more years, get back into the cockpit, and retire at 42 years old.

All you can do is make the best decision you can with the information that you have at the time (which is always incomplete) while also considering the level of risk that you are willing to accept. With a wife who is a stay home mom of three young kids, I was very risk-adverse and only put in to get out once I had something else lined up.

Good luck!

fly4unclesam said:
I just took the FY 05 bonus. I am a Maj who just finished my pilot training ADSC (late rated). I had actually decided to separate from the AF but still had some time remaining on another ADSC (beyond my pilot training one). I taked to AFPC to see if they would waive it under Force Shaping and they indicated that they would. Withy that, I interviewed with a major and was hired. Of course, in typical fashon, once my paperwork flowed, they turned me down and sent me to a staff job (luckily, the airline was very understanding and understands how the personnel weenies like to play tricks). Once this happened, it was a no-brainer...since I would have 16 years in before I would eligible to get out again.

I must admit, the money is nice and more and more the thought of a government pension/health care for life is appealing. Unfortuantley, I have not had the fly-only career that Aviator 737 has had...4 years non-rated and now a 3 year staff tour. Luckily, I have not completed my 2nd gate so I am pretty much assured to return to the cockpit for my last tour.

Also like Aviator 737, I often sit back and wonder what life on the other side would be like...although deep inside I think it worked out for the best. So, I just have to suck it up for a few more years, get back into the cockpit, and retire at 42 years old.

All you can do is make the best decision you can with the information that you have at the time (which is always incomplete) while also considering the level of risk that you are willing to accept. With a wife who is a stay home mom of three young kids, I was very risk-adverse and only put in to get out once I had something else lined up.

Good luck!

Smart!!

Latest resources

Back