Future of the LCC's in jeopardy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dan Roman

Interesting perspective. My apologies to the good folks at SWA, but some pretty ugly attitudes seem to be rearing it's head from your ranks. This is a tough business, you don't have the same cost advantage you used to have (some of you guys bragging about your pay sound like the UAL guys in 2000) and the legacy airlines our consolidating and becoming much stronger. It's not out of the question that the surviving full service airlines could come back and squeeze you very very hard. They have route systems that you will never be able to duplicate and they appear to be coming out of this round of mergers much stronger. You would be well advised not to be so cocky. SWA today compares to DAL or UAL like USAir did in the 1980's and 90's. USAir was a very good "smaller" airline that was doing very well. Watch out, you may think you can conquer the world, but it's a delusion. You succeded mostly by avoiding head to head competition with the legacies, you are headed to uncharted territory and the legacies you want to take on haven't been this strong (due to consolidation) in a long time.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/experts/grossman/2010-10-05-southwest-airtran-merger_N.htm

I think the big difference between the SWA guys and other airlines is that in the same breath that they talk about their pay, they also talk about their productivity. Just watch them taxi vs the East Cactus Crawl.

Our pay is great but only because every major took major pay cuts. Since the give back by Delta, United, USAIR, AMR etc......we at SWA have had only modest pay increases. All those pilots and FA's "want their money back" and there is no reason to believe that pay for them is not going back up....while productivity remains the same. I am sure our new employees from AT will step-up and join our culture of high productivity......

Just a question Mr Roman.....where have you witnessed these ugly attitudes? My guess it is on some forum like FI where dudes can spout off whatever they want and no one knows anything about them. For all we know, they could be in between lessons at their local airport.

I work at SWA and I can tell you that this is a great place to be and most people I encounter have an excellent attitude. Many of the f/o's and jr. capts have some issues with the merger, and I have not talked to any that are bitter. Being concerned about your career (and voicing that concern) does not automatically equate into a bad attitude.

Have a nice day Mr. Roman.....I know I will!!!

well guys, i am a jr. capt at airtran and i too am concerned about how it will all play out. i have expressed those concerns to my mec and will let them take it from there. this is all any line pilot can do. i hope all this can get resolved amongst ourselves, but regardless, i look forward to a long career with a stable company. i hope we can all feel the luv when all this is over.

Just a question Mr Roman.....where have you witnessed these ugly attitudes? My guess it is on some forum like FI where dudes can spout off whatever they want and no one knows anything about them. For all we know, they could be in between lessons at their local airport.

I work at SWA and I can tell you that this is a great place to be and most people I encounter have an excellent attitude. Many of the f/o's and jr. capts have some issues with the merger, and I have not talked to any that are bitter. Being concerned about your career (and voicing that concern) does not automatically equate into a bad attitude.

Have a nice day Mr. Roman.....I know I will!!!

That's good to hear, I'm basing it entirely on what I see here on F.I. SWA pilots talking about stapling AirTran and the tipping point was some SWA guy boasting the AirTran was a glorified commuter and SWA was everyone's #1 career choice. Anyway, I just saw him post that it wasn't he that posted it. Good luck and I do understand how stressful mergers can be for some, a lot of s^%t will be flying.

That's good to hear, I'm basing it entirely on what I see here on F.I. SWA pilots talking about stapling AirTran and the tipping point was some SWA guy boasting the AirTran was a glorified commuter and SWA was everyone's #1 career choice. Anyway, I just saw him post that it wasn't he that posted it. Good luck and I do understand how stressful mergers can be for some, a lot of s^%t will be flying.

People post this junk because they can hide behind their anonymity(sp?). He's probably carrying emotional baggage from a previous carrier/job so they vent their fears/frustrations here. The biggest mistake we can make is to consider FI posts factual.

"If it's true that AirTran's management believes their business as a standalone airline is at risk, and other LCCs concur, this will likely not be the last merger or major action taken by an LCC. It could even spell the end of LCCs as we know them if more consolidate, join alliances or morph into something better resembling traditional network airlines. That may not bode well for those who have enjoyed an extended spell of low airfares, but in the immediate term, AirTran passengers are sure to rejoice over the elimination of baggage fees and a few extra inches of seat pitch, courtesy of Southwest Airlines."

IF anybody bothered to read Dan's article, the entire article by this so-called airline expert, was predicated on a big IF... if Airtran believes their business as a stand-alone LCC is at risk. Maybe it's food for thought, but not based much in reality.

Thing is, WN ALWAYS promised low-frills, on-time, and they won't lose your bag - and they've ALWAYS delivered.

Legacies still portend to offer "premium" service but fall far short. The ONLY reason they are making any profit is because sheeple are either too stupid or are so wrapped up in their worthless miles to take notice of all the petty fees.

WN makes money without the stupid fees AND they still deliver what they promise.

The only way LCCs could possibly be in jeopardy is if legacies could cut their costs so they can make money while offering better service for less money.

Ain't gonna happen.

Thing is, WN ALWAYS promised low-frills, on-time, and they won't lose your bag - and they've ALWAYS delivered.

Legacies still portend to offer "premium" service but fall far short. The ONLY reason they are making any profit is because sheeple are either too stupid or are so wrapped up in their worthless miles to take notice of all the petty fees.

WN makes money without the stupid fees AND they still deliver what they promise.

Most of the time I have priced airline tickets, the legacies are significantly cheaper than SWA... even after factoring in bag fees.

SWA is turning in to a legacy. They will eventually add bag fees, you heard it here. While SWA is still a good company, and a great place to work, it is not the same company it was 15 years ago. They are straying further and further from the business model that made them successful.

But it's only a matter of time before the LUV wears off. As they continue to morph in to a legacy, there labor costs will continue to rise (already the highest). When the next downturn happens in a few years, they will be at the table talking concessions. As others have said, they will be the DAL/UAL of 2000.

Just my 2 cents.

Latest resources

Back