• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Future of the LCC's in jeopardy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most of the time I have priced airline tickets, the legacies are significantly cheaper than SWA... even after factoring in bag fees.
The "trick" with SWA is that on most travel sites you'll never find a comparison with SWA. Clever technique.

I think the big difference between the SWA guys and other airlines is that in the same breath that they talk about their pay, they also talk about their productivity. Just watch them taxi vs the East Cactus Crawl.
Doesn't SWA have a different type of pay vs. "block or better" airlines? An extra minute can get you a Miller Lite later on at the bar, or a Patrón depending on the side of your seat and your seniority. Am not familiar with the SWA scheduling/pay system...

(I guess you could be a good Samaritan and donate your "block or better" dollar bills at a local establishment to support single moms... One $ at a time though)

The LCCs will be in for rocky roads if/when some goon from corporate America assumes the helm and decides said airline has become his new cash cow.

When I put on my Carl Ichan hat and take a look around for my next venture, I'll look for an entity in a state of transition and lots of cash to be siphoned.

All in the name of the free market mind you.

Today's king of the hill in the airline biz is tomorrows walking wounded and anybody who believes he has finally found that stable career is whistling by the graveyard. Unfortunately.

Last edited:
The only way LCCs could possibly be in jeopardy is if legacies could cut their costs so they can make money while offering better service for less money.
Service like a flight to Barcelona? London? Paris? China? Moscow?

The ONLY reason they are making any profit is because sheeple are either too stupid or are so wrapped up in their worthless miles to take notice of all the petty fees. .

No bag fees, but you have to pay extra for a PLACE IN LINE?
If you believe that 'no nickel and dime at WN' spin, you've got no business calling other people 'sheeple'.
Those 'worthless' miles will take them to Hawaii or Paris. In Business or First Class.
You are severely understating the value of free stuff. Don't forget that free stuff has extra appeal to poor people. You know..... the LCC target audience. A free trip to Hawaii is a hell of a thing to the crowd who actually show up to the flight wearing clothing 'purchased' with Marlboro Bucks/Camel Cash.

Last edited:
You people kill me. If I can summarize, WN will be in trouble when it finds itself with a CEO who's gone full retard with the operations and starts using his airline as an ATM to be bled dry. Also, WN's in big trouble because they didn't declare Chap 11 and trash their contracts with labor.
This is just another iteration of the "just think how bad SWA is gonna suck when their fuel hedges run out."

The difference is that SWA is setting the bar and making money at those prices. Other airlines are just trying to keep their name at the top of the orbitz list and have been bleeding on domestic routes.

You people kill me. If I can summarize, WN will be in trouble when it finds itself with a CEO who's gone full retard with the operations and starts using his airline as an ATM to be bled dry. Also, WN's in big trouble because they didn't declare Chap 11 and trash their contracts with labor.

That's because southwest's labor contracts were already trash! Low pay, ********************ty work rules, and PFT! The legacy's were brought down to their pathetic pay thanks to bad management and bankruptcy laws.

This is just another iteration of the "just think how bad SWA is gonna suck when their fuel hedges run out."

They already suck, it's just a matter of perspective.:laugh:

Never go full retard!

SWA is a great airline. But they will not always be top of the heap. As they grow, especially into high delay markets, their costs will rise and their productivity will fall. Other majors will adapt to survive and if that means SWA productivity if the only other choice is SWA dominance as they flounder, we will see SWA productivity everywhere. Guaranteed. The extreme ATC preferential treatment is coming to an end as well. Watch for it, guaranteed.

I don't think SWA's future is as dire as every keyboard commando is suggesting. They may not have the global route structure of the legacies, but they will continue to do what no other airline on the planet is capable of, make money. Yeah, yeah, yeah, everyone reported record profits last quarter, but everyone except SWA will be right back to record breaking losses with record breaking executive bonuses within the next year. There's a reason every regional pilot and many major pilots are trying to get hired at SWA.

Latest resources

Back