Future of the Airline Industry,4 newbies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

antney

This has probaly been brought up before, but would like to talk about it again. What do you all think the future holds for our career adventures? Meaning, are the regional airlines like Air Wisconsin, ACA, Skywest, Comair, etc goingt o be were people make their career at. The major airlines do not look liek they are going to rebound for some time, and it looks so profitable for the regionals right now. What do you guys see in 10-20 years from now. Will the industry be different then, with most people striving to get to a regional carrier, or still get to the majors. What I'm looking here for is being at a regional carrier right now, my potential for growth is really limited. I have one option of aircraft to fly and that is a turbo prop. I love the saab, and it's a great plane to fly. At larger Regionals it seems there a choice of aircraft, turboprops and RJs. It also seems most regional carriers that have RJs the pay is a whole lot more than regionals with just turbo props. I'm debating if I should move to a larger regional, start at the bottom of the list again, but have a chance to finish ,my career at one of those places, rather than stay at my current job, upgrade in a few years, make 40K as a captain, and wait for th emajors hiring again, which I beleive won't be for years. I could be wrong, and I don't want to jump around and regret it later, but thats the chance you take and have to live with. I would like some input back from you guys, and juts to really see how the future of our career path wil ltake us over our time as airline pilots. Thanks
Anthony

well if past history is an example it will go something like this:
3-4 years and the economy and industry turn around enough for the majors to start bringing back their furloughed pilots.
Depending on the airline, it takes 1-2 years to get all the furloughees back on the property. Then if the economy and industry is still strong, they will start hiring. They will look at all the pilots that have lots of PIC 121 time. Because of the non hiring of the last 5 years, their will be lots of pilots with high time competing for the jobs.
That's basically what happen in the 90s.
So, if your goal is to make it to the majors, get as much PIC 121 time as you can so you will be competive when things stop to change.

Oh ya,
and have something to fall back on when you get furloughed.
This won't be the last time all the majors furlough.

Dude, don't tell me you have ants in your pants already! I think you should move on to ACA if you get a call. You gotta put your stuff in first. I think It's your moral obligation to free up that seat for other starving pilots if you know what I mean.:)
Send me a PM. Haven't heard from you in a while.

If this is Durbin, give me an e-mail, you do not have one on your profile. E-mail me and we should meet up for lunch, and congrats on the baby, and your not starving your doing pretty well were you are!!!!
Anthony

Latest resources

Back