Future of delta cvg and dtw bases?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Checks

Any idea if those bases will be around for the long term? I live in Ohio so that's the reason I ask

Thanks in advance.

Any idea if those bases will be around for the long term? I live in Ohio so that's the reason I ask

Thanks in advance.

DL (and FNWA) invested a lot into DTW, so it's unlikely that pilot base will ever close. The same was once said about CVG, too though. The CVG base is still very senior, and the main reason it is still open is because displacing the remaining very senior pilots would cost a cascade of training costs. Recently there have been a few very junior people allowed to bid in to the MD88, but that's about it. That being said, I think DTW will be around a lot longer than CVG. Looking at other Ohio legacy hubs like CLE at UAL, the survival rate hasn't been great. Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

What I never understood is why close CVG....

From an operations perspective:

Easy to get in and out of with multiple runways and a very easy flow into the gates from both sides...

Quick taxi routes for T/O...doesn't get much easier than presidential route to 27....

Relatively easy weather to deal with....not as frequent T storms as ATL, not as much snow as DTW or NYC ( and not nearly as congested)....

Located in near the middle of the country.... Easy flights to all corners of the U.S..... No going way south to get West....

Good airport with easy security, good trams.... Potential for good food courts.....

I used to really like CVG, even when I was based there....

Oh well, hopefully someone will eventually pick up the slack and get a pilot basethere

From an operations perspective:

Easy to get in and out of with multiple runways and a very easy flow into the gates from both sides...

Quick taxi routes for T/O...doesn't get much easier than presidential route to 27....

Relatively easy weather to deal with....not as frequent T storms as ATL, not as much snow as DTW or NYC ( and not nearly as congested)....

Located in near the middle of the country.... Easy flights to all corners of the U.S..... No going way south to get West....

Good airport with easy security, good trams.... Potential for good food courts.....

I used to really like CVG, even when I was based there....

Oh well, hopefully someone will eventually pick up the slack and get a pilot basethere

Ha Ha

Food courts

Really? Airlines only care about cheese.
Either from the Guvmint or da peeps
CVG has historically had very high tix prices...that has changed.
No cheese=no flights=no base

Speaking of CVG taxi routes, I find it hilarious that place still has multiple ramp controllers.

I always feel like saying, "Good afternoon ramp, this is THE airplane that is taxiing on the field and we're taking taking the shortest route to our gate. We got this, thanks."

DL (and FNWA) invested a lot into DTW, so it's unlikely that pilot base will ever close. The same was once said about CVG, too though. The CVG base is still very senior, and the main reason it is still open is because displacing the remaining very senior pilots would cost a cascade of training costs. Recently there have been a few very junior people allowed to bid in to the MD88, but that's about it. That being said, I think DTW will be around a lot longer than CVG. Looking at other Ohio legacy hubs like CLE at UAL, the survival rate hasn't been great. Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

DAL probably has 75%-80% of the gates at DTW, is there any other base with the same ratio?

Economics of the regional jet. When CVG was planned it was feed by piston and T-Props from cities within 75-300 miles, when the CRJ showed up is was 450-600 miles, then the newer RJ's showed up with coast to coast range didn't need as many hubs. Same RDU, MEM, STL, MCI, etc

Speaking of CVG taxi routes, I find it hilarious that place still has multiple ramp controllers.

I always feel like saying, "Good afternoon ramp, this is THE airplane that is taxiing on the field and we're taking taking the shortest route to our gate. We got this, thanks."

That's PIT, too. I landed there one day and 1 guy was working Tower/Ground, etc. Still had to talk to Ramp. And there are still 2 Ramp controllers. Most secure job in aviation...PIT Ramp Tower.

That's PIT, too. I landed there one day and 1 guy was working Tower/Ground, etc. Still had to talk to Ramp. And there are still 2 Ramp controllers. Most secure job in aviation...PIT Ramp Tower.

No doubt. Ship 'em all to NYC and open up some metering frequencies.

Latest resources

Back