Furloughed pilots getting free type?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, thats great BOB!!!!! Did the
ttthhhbbbbththhhh come with that as well?

AA

Workforce Investment Act

I had my resume done a number of years ago by a woman who did pilot hiring with a major airline. When I saw this posting, I wrote her an email. Here is her response:

>>Yes, the Workforce Investment Act (formerly the Job Training Partnership Act) is a Federal Program, however the states run their own show. Primarily the money was there for displaced workers in certain industries to be "retrained" in another occupation. Many pilots were able to receive training to upgrade their skills within the airline industry. However, many states have stopped doing it because it was not helping to enhance their ability to get a job.

What I usually suggest to my pilot clients in this situation is that they take the opportunity to get training in another field. Most airline people have a second interest or career, and if they do not, now would be a good time to look at one. Since the airline industry is so cyclical, with downturns happening about every 3-4 years, it is a good idea to have something to fall back on. There is usually a cap on how much money the states will provide, but each state can tell you their requirements. In addition, because the airline industry was so adversely affected by 9/11, the unemployment monies are being extended.

Also, the local job services offices are offering career testing and counseling, however, I would not rely on that. Most of their employees have never worked outside the government in the private sector, so they do not really have a good idea of what it takes to get hired and the qualifications necessary for different positions. Pilots have a lot more skills then they think that will transition to another career.

Hope this information is helpful!<<<<

If anyone wants any further information, her website is www.awriteresume.com and she offers special pricing for furloughed pilots. Very knowledgable and sharp lady. Just thought I would pass that along!

"Pilots have a lot more skills then they think that will transition to another career."

Here's what a US Airways furloughee has to say about the above. I think all will find this very interesting, and hopefully motivating. This may have appeared already, if so, I apologize. I hope you don't mind me posting this Chris.

This is for all to read to possibly give encouragement:

I quit last month flying as a Captain on the Citation III with a charter company out of Naples, Florida. I was making about 60K if I flew about 40 hours a month, which is a lot in the charter business. They did not believe in any days off - not even the 13 prospective 24 hour rest periods you are supposed to receive unscheduled Part 135. Equated to 24/7 on call (illegal by the way). There was absolutely no life. So, I finally came to making a decision I have never had to make in my flying career and that was to quit. I do not need the hours or anything else to keep climbing up the "ladder".

You know what? And this is the real kicker as to what has happened to our aviation industry and what continues to happen today with everyone scrambling for any flying job they can - I found a job working for a construction company - a trenching company called Hydro Rock here in Florida (hydrorock.com). It would not have been my first choice, but through the help of my father-in-law networking some contacts of his, this opportunity came up. I have absolutely no experience in the industry and they started me at 52K, gave me a 2001 F150 Super Crew leather interior truck, and are paying for my family insurance (everything in this realm is negotiable - there are no union contracts spelling out what you are going to make every year)! To reiterate, without any experience in the industry!

My wife explained something to me that really made me understand something. I have always said that my special talent was to fly airplanes. I have always been really good at it. But, she told me that it is not that my special gift is to fly airplanes specifically, but it is the qualities that we have that allows us to be good pilots. So, there are so many more jobs out there where you do not have to continue commuting to a 34k/year flying job, because the qualities that can transfer from what made you a good pilot - attention to detail, able to make decisions quickly, be steps ahead at all times - have a good forethought, professional, able to communicate well, and the list goes on - can help you in procuring another career with a lot better lifestyle to wait out this downturn.

Of course, I would love to be back at USAirways as it was before Sept 11th, but it certainly has changed - the industry has changed. Why are we chasing 30K to even 50K/year jobs when we are so overly qualified, and the responsibility you have certainly has not changed? Maybe it is because guys think there is nothing else out there because we are so specialized in aviation that no one would hire us doing something else. That is not the case as explained above. Seek it out. Yes, you may miss flying and then you may not. Being home with my kids everyday right now has actually been a blessing to me. If I was flying for JetBlue or some other commuter, I would be gone at least half of the week commuting and flying or sitting reserve somewhere for pay somewhere in the 30's or 50's (if jetBlue)! It would be crazy to do so unless you live right there to drive to JFK for example.

I encourage those who have not found the right job either flying or otherwise to look at yourself from the angle of what qualities made you a good pilot and exploit them to a possible employer in another field if you must like I did. The other key is to network, network, network - just like we have had to do up the aviation ladder. Through church, friends, etc, etc, etc. get the word out that you are looking in any realm and open to anything. You never know what could fall into your lap.

I'll post this where others can read it and I hope they get encouragement from it. Best of luck to all.

(name deleted for his privacy)- furloughed a year and a half ago

Good Story

That was a great story to share. Exactly what the resume writer wrote in her email back to me. So glad that someone has had success outside this industry. There are a lot of skills that we as pilots have that we do not realize. It just sometimes takes getting someone else to show us the real value we have!

Transferable pilot skills

New2Flying said:
Pilots have a lot more skills then they think that will transition to another career.
That is very true. Such things as the ability to think critically, to consider all options, to be resourceful, and to understand technical concepts. Handling responsibility. Working with diverse personalities. Meeting schedules and deadlines.

Much of what I learned from flying has helped me in law. My doctor was the one who pointed out that pilots spend a lot of time looking up things in manuals and interpreting regulations. So, when I went to work, such things as looking up and understanding court rules were familiar ground for me.

Good luck to all with their job searches.

Last edited:
Great Post

Bobby - Those were great ideas of transferable skills for pilots. I think postings stories such as the ones posted here will help others to realize their value outside the airlines, since management seems to make us all think we have no value elsewhere!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back