Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

73-Driver

Le Big Mac
I was furloughed about 6 months ago and have only one interview coming up! Just wondering how long some of you other pilots stayed furloughed before finding another flying job?

I was out of the cockpit for 14 months.

Furloughed in May of '03, hard charged that week for WIA funds for a 737 type, took 4 months to finally get a WIA check, got the 73 type and ATP ticket in Nov '03, tried like hell for six months to get an interview flying something other than on demand freight, no luck, back in on demand freight 14 months after being laid off.

I made the mistake of being to selective while searching, there were some opportunities for decent jobs that I should've jumped on, but didn't, I would be in the left seat of a jet right now if I would've jumped on one of those jobs, instead I'm in the right seat again for who knows how much longer. Don't pass up something just because it's not the perfect job you want.

Last edited:
How much time in the 737 do you have ?

Semperfido is on the right track. China can be a bit dicey ( in terms of upgrade potential ). Outside of Southwest, Continental, Fedex, UPS, jetBlue, World, Atlas, Kalitta, etc., I would look at some of the 737 charter operators. Preferably one with some growth plans so that you can get a command. If you are out for some adventure then Emirates, Gulf Air, Cathay Pacific, Japan, mainland China, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand would be worth looking at.

It took me one year to find a job in 91/92 after being furloughed. This time around I had resumes going out within two weeks of 9-11 and only spent 2 months on furlough.

TP

I just noticed you have Beech 1900 time. You may want to look at Falcon Express in Dubai. They do feeder work for UPS or Fedex in the Middle East. Pay is decent for the type aircraft. Extra bucks for the Baghdad run as well :D .

TP

I tend to agree with what the others have said. A furlough (especially in today's climate) is a different kind of career-changing event. I think it is important to keep flying. I was most recently furloughed in March of 03 and took a few jobs that i'm not particularly proud of -- but I kept flying.

Those jobs, although not ideal, gave me the time I needed to sit back, reevaulate my career, and focus on those companies that I really wanted to work for. At the same time I never lost currency.

Hopefully future employers will understand a bit of post 09/11 "job-hopping".

Best of luck to you.

Furlough #1 (06/95) - Working again in 3 weeks; recalled in 3 months

Furlough #2 (03/02) - 7 months on the street; not yet recalled

Layoff #1 (04/03) - 3 months on the street

Furlough #3 (09/03) - Found a part-time flying job flying for a buddy almost immediately; recalled in 2 months

Good flying jobs are hard to find, especially with the scarlet "F" on your chest, but they are out there.

HTH and good luck!

73-driver, I was on furlough for over 3 years and during the furlough I worked a lot of different jobs, of which none was a flying job.

I interviewed with a lot of different commuters and nationals and never once got a call back, I don't know but it seems when you are furloughed companies don't want to deal with you.

I just wanted to let you know to never loose hope and never give up, I waited a long time and eventually got the call back, and not just any call but flying a brand new state of the art aircraft for one of the best airlines out there.

I wish you and all others in this situation the best.

Hang in there

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back