Furlough Grants

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Camperdaddy

I figure someone in this category would be familiar with this subject. I have heard, in vague terms, that if you are part of a furloughed group there is a DOT or state grant that will enable you to get a type rating. Some think it is still an active program, others believe it was a one time post 9/11 program. Any bit of information or direction is appreciated.

I got one after a furlough and it was a state program, and it'll probably be through the state in which you are based in vs. reside in. I was based in my home state so I'm not sure, but I think it was the case for other coworkers. I didn't get nearly enough for a type rating though.

Search "WIA" Workforce Investment Act on this site and google. you'll find all you need/want to know

http://www.careeronestop.org/WiaProviderSearch.asp

maybe a mod could make this a sticky somewhere

click on your state and search.

WIA money is sent out every quarterish? Each county/state has it until they use it. Some states use it all in a day, other states have money left over.
Its all first come first serve.

Now..acorrding to Kit darby(i went to a free seminar where he talked and this question was asked) even if you don't live in a state with left over money you can apply for money from a different state, ie you live in florida and the money is gone you can still apply to say new york if they have money left.

Some states are wise to the 737 type so they will shoot you down. You just have to head to your local office and ask.

Latest resources

Back