Furlough Explanation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

weekendwarrior

Sorry for thie ignorance folks, but I need help understanding what exactly a furloughed pilot is, and why it happens.

I understand airlines get too fat, and need to trim. But why do airlines lay off/furlough pilots, yet hire new pilots at the same time? Is it a budget thing?

Also, when you have been furloughed, why can't you downgrade yourself and fly for the majors that are hiring? Too overqualified?

Finally, do furloughed pilots get their jobs back eventually, or is it a nice way of saying "fired"

Weekendwarrior,

I'm one of the "furloughed few" at ACA, so I can give you a few answers based on that. ACA furloughed because they geared up for what they thought was going to be a big increase in the amount of UEX flying. In fact they hired for AC that they they didn't have at the time but were going to get and then UAL went into CH11. The rest as they say is history! With the problems associated with the contract negotiations and the UEX flying farmed out to more carriers, they ended up with more pilots than they needed. Hence the fulough.

As far as carriers furloughing/laying off pilots whilst hiring others, I'm assuming you don't mean at the same carrier. I'm pretty sure that most if not all pilots that are furloughed have to be recalled before anyone off the street is hired. At least it is at ACA due to the contract.

When it comes to getting hired, being furloughed can be a positive or negative thing. Positive in that you already know how the 121 environment works, maybe even the AC you're applying to fly and therefore a known quantity. But negative in that there is a perception that you'll just up and leave when you get recalled. That's why a lot of regionals may hesitate at hring someone who's from a Major. Also, some airlines require you to give up your recall rights when you join them whilst others just require a verbal guarantee to stay for a set period of time.

Whether you get your job back, can be for some, the $64 million question. ACA have a provision in their contract that you only have recall rights for 7 years from the time you were furloughed. I think it's the same everywhere else but for some of the unlucky guys at the majors, that may not be enough time.

There's a lot of furloughed pilots out there, so I'm sure you'll get more answers to your questions.

the short answer

layoff means the company doesn't need you anymore; you hit the street unemployed.

'furlough' is the same as layoff, except the company has to recall you back before it can hire someone new.

Latest resources

Back