Full Pay To The Last Day!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Publishers!

Your a good capitalist like me. The customer drives the price to a degree. But it is just simple supply and demand.

Now granted, aviation has boatloads of supply. So they are lowering costs including my salary. But guess what - why should I fly a Jet - suffer long hours away from home - put up with pathetic work rules that push me to the FAA limits of fatigue?

So I opt out - I vote "NO" to ACA. If I lose my job - so what - I'm not driving a multi-million dollar piece of equipment for peanuts. I can just as easily go down the street to Home Depot, to Radio Shack, to my local housebuilder, anywhere and make more than $30K per year. I can do that with a ten minute commute, home every night to hug my wife and in general enjoy quality of life like all those customers of mine in the back of the bus.

If people would show backbone and just say no to this stuff, there is no choice. The prices would have to go up. You know what, Bombardier isn't building CRJ's for less, the Jet-A isn't costing less, the real estate at all those gates and office builidngs my airline uses doesn't cost less but the ticket prices for a flight keep going lower and lower.

Well NO. My choice is to say yes like I'm afraid of losing a $30K/yr job or say No and let everyone turn their heads and go "What"? If the airlines want $22K FO's and $45K Captains, then they need to find other whipping boys because I'm not playing that game. I'm not ransoming my soul just to fly a Jet.

For me, it doesn't really matter - if this stupid TA gets voted in, I'm not just going to stand there and take a 7.5% pay cut with about a 25% degrade in my household income due to the work rule changes and loss of "soft money" contract items. Not going to happen - like another poster said - I'll just go to Home Depot. If we vote NO, and they say well ACA should be closing its doors in 2 years - let's see - I'm thinking that in 2 years, business will pick up - we have 80 jets and a ton of gate space in some pretty good markets. You think they're going to dump ACA because we're $9Mill more expensive per year than the other guys? I can't even buy a CRJ with $9 Million!

And you want the coup d'grace for a capitalist like me - the union has already endorsed this TA. They think its great and will provide for future growth. That's union speak for "all we want is more pilots paying dues to our MEC." They don't care how much we get paid, they don't care how much we have to work, they just want more members and more dues. Pure BS. I am one of the pilots working for the them today - I am a constituent. Its time to start looking out for my own personal well-being. Future growth don't pay present bills. NO! NO! NO!

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!!!"

For all of you gutless pilots out there who bend over in the slightest breeze in order to save what you call your pathetic jobs (that's right, Mesa. I'm talking about you!) you have only yourselves to blame for your sorry pay and lifestyle. We as regional pilots could have incredible leverage over management if only we could stick together and fight for the "standard." Unfortunately, there are too many "soft-minded, and selfish" pilots out there that only care about themselves. These "weak-link" pilots destroy our collective potential as a whole.

For all of you "one-dimentional" thinkers out there, can you not see that it's not management that sets our low standards!!!! Our pathetic pay is a reflection of ourselves. As a group we have no "backbone" are "selfish" and lack the "courage" to do what we know is right deep down in our heart, which is to stand up to management even if it means we will get furloughed. If we all stood to fight together then management wouldn't be able to pit us against each other and there wouldn't be a race to the bottom, or furloughs, for that matter.

Getting furloughed is not the end of the World. If you don't have the confidence in yourself to believe you can find another job to take care of your family then you have serious issues. You become the weak link and will bring down the "standards."

I've been furloughed and can tell you it's not the end of the World.

Nothing is ever gained by continually giving up what you have gained.

I will vote "No" for this TA, and no matter what happens I will at least have my self-respect.

I've seen several posts reference Home Depot. I work part-time for Home Depot and they are begging me to leave flying and going full-time as a department head, then Assistant Manager. After speaking with one of my Assistant Managers, he told me that due to his bonuses he will make just over $100,000 this year...normally he makes around $85,000. HMMM, an assistant store manager makes six figures, but airline pilots shouldn't...HMMM. We have almost 1600 stores with numerous openings for good earning careers to those who are interested.

Latest resources

Back