• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Full Circle Validation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's pretty flawed thinking and it's also the reason why pilots are continually willing to settle for less, and less, and less...

No historical perspective, reference or preference.

Sad. But thanks for illustrating the point.

I agree with his post 9-11 comment. But I think the correlation between his mindset and increased QOL & $$$ works in our favor. You always have to measure the value of the job in the current market. I think the fractional pilot has the advantage over the 121 pilot. The frac pilot is the pilot, gate agent, bag loader, and flight attendant for the pax...but most importantly, he is the primary representative of the company's product. I think this dynamic will translate to higher $$$ and QOL in the long run.

In the 121 world, I think the FA has more of an impact on the quality of the product than do the pilots. How many times do you hear folks talk about how great the FAs are at SWA? Pilot experience is way overrated (at least MGT thinks so) and I think that is why the value of the career is being bid down. The whipsaw/bankruptcy pattern is in place and it works.

So if you think of the post 9-11 environment in a current market mindset, I think it works in our favor.

Great post Wolfpack!

I have to take exception with one statement though...

You wanted to be delta pilot and not a PIEDMONT PILOT! ;)

You from ATL or GSO Wolf!

Great post Wolfpack!

I have to take exception with one statement though...

You wanted to be delta pilot and not a PIEDMONT PILOT! ;)

You from ATL or GSO Wolf!

HAHAHA!

Well since I am from Greensboro, NC... (GO PACK.. F the Heels) I would have loved to work for Piedmont Airlines. But they lost their identity when I 20 and had 300 hours total time.

I agree with his post 9-11 comment. But I think the correlation between his mindset and increased QOL & $$$ works in our favor. You always have to measure the value of the job in the current market. I think the fractional pilot has the advantage over the 121 pilot. The frac pilot is the pilot, gate agent, bag loader, and flight attendant for the pax...but most importantly, he is the primary representative of the company's product. I think this dynamic will translate to higher $$$ and QOL in the long run.

In the 121 world, I think the FA has more of an impact on the quality of the product than do the pilots. How many times do you hear folks talk about how great the FAs are at SWA? Pilot experience is way overrated (at least MGT thinks so) and I think that is why the value of the career is being bid down. The whipsaw/bankruptcy pattern is in place and it works.

So if you think of the post 9-11 environment in a current market mindset, I think it works in our favor.

We are speaking the same lingadee. My comment was aimed at 121.

I agree that an F/A in 121 can have more impact than a pilot. Piltots have allowed themselves to become domesticated at Bran X's around the world. They are handled, coddled and programmed to think that they are widgets.

Many act accordinly.

Fly Low,

I was talking about that the other day with a fellow pilot at NetJets.

There is no doubt that the Captain is the Captain here... and we have way to many additional duties and responsibilities than back at Brand X. Some more enjoyable than others.

I appreciate this thread for many reasons even though I am not a NetJets employee.

First and foremost I have had the pleasure of working with both WolfpackPilot and Flylow in previous lives. (Interestingly at different 121 carriers).

How they have chosen to manage their careers post 9/11 intrigues me since, when I knew both in the past, they were 121 through and through.

I too was born and raised part 121, following my father's footsteps to Brand X. Made it for a few years although, sadly, not long enough to fly with him before he retired. Now I find myself flying a light jet for a large corporation. There are, of course, some similarities and some differences between corporate and NetJets. In many ways I admire them. In some ways I don't. (I'm about to leave for my very first 7 day trip and I don't have a CLUE how you guys pack for this kind of thing twice a month!)

What amazes me is how we have all adapted to this new reality. Just like Wolfpack, I frequently feel pangs of remorse or jealousy. I wanted more than anything to continue my career at Brand X... maybe retire in the top couple of dozen A330 (or equivalent) Captains. Now, the biggest thing I will probably ever fly again is a 20,000 pound corporate jet. But that being said, I enjoy the time off, and the relative stability of the corporation as compared to virtually any 121 job.

One day i'd like to sit down with Flylow or Wolfpack again over a cold adult beverage and talk about the different roads that took us away from part 121 and the decisions that brought us to where we are. We could lament about the new generation of pilots who continue blindly towards 121 careers having learned nothing from those who came before.

I sure miss flying big airplanes with enough room in the cockpit to put a flight bag, an APU to keep you cool in the summer, and a dispatcher to do all of the "real" work for me.

But all in all, I have no regrets. Good thread Wolfpack. I hope to see you around sometime soon.

I sure miss flying big airplanes with enough room in the cockpit to put a flight bag, an APU to keep you cool in the summer, and a dispatcher to do all of the "real" work for me.

Come fly for NetJets! If you don't get the Ultra/Encore or "Hawker" 400 you'll get most or all of the above.

I'm on day 2 of the very first 7 day trip i've ever flown. Based upon my experience thus far, I can honestly say that I don't think I was made for 7 day trips. lol

That being said I truly admire your company and wish you success -- provided your success doesn't ultimately result in the downsizing of my flight department. ;)

Latest resources

Back