Fueling with fwd door open?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Knob

Anybody know where in the regs it talks about refueling with pax onboard, and does the door have to remain open? Thanx

Can't qoute it chapter and verse, but it's a requirment at my shop to leave the airstair open if we are fueling. We also won't fuel the left side while loading passengers.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

If you're fueling an aircraft with passengers on board, you must have a floor level exit open and a means to exit the aircraft, i.e. stairs or jetway. Also the seat belt sign must be off and the no smoking sign must be on.

I believe my current employer requires the door to be open ifpassengers are on board during fueling. I really oughta look thatup! I do know that at my former employer, the policy changed backand forth more than once (with a clause for inclement weather I think),depending on who was running the FSDO...

My company used to require that the door remain open, but that recently changed and now it is at Captains discretion.

I really don't understand the point. Does it really take that long to close the door. How much time are we talking about saving here, for crying out loud people...

At Mesaba, the door must be open on the Saab during refueling. During O2 servicing, no pax may be on board. But they can jack the bird up and change any tire while boarding and with a full boat of pax!

MM

ERfly said:
If you're fueling an aircraft with passengers on board, you must have a floor level exit open and a means to exit the aircraft, i.e. stairs or jetway. Also the seat belt sign must be off and the no smoking sign must be on.

Add to that "A crewmember trained in evacuation proceedures must be on board."

I think the specific verbage will be in your Ops Specs.

If you are looking for the general rule in 14 CFR:

§ 121.570 Airplane evacuation capability.

(b) Each certificate holder shall ensure that, at all times passengers are on board prior to airplane movement on the surface, at least one floor-level exit provides for the egress of passengers through normal or emergency means.

Since you can't move with a fuel hose connected, it's kind of hard to justify closing the door and precluding an emergency evacuation with thousands of lbs of Jet-A being actively pumped into the aircraft.

Ergo, fueling the airplane is the MOST obvious need for leaving a door open for evacuation. But 121.570 says that if pax are on board prior to taxi, then the door should be open for ANY emergency and hence rapid evacuation.

If those folks in row 1 in the CRJ think the curtain isn't keeping them warm enough in Albany in January, they should think about row 8 next time. Nobody thinks about safety when it's a "comfort" issue, but if that cold January air causes a spark during refueling, you can bet your bottom dollar that those same passengers will sue the pants off you if that door is closed.

Massport at BOS (at least did) say no enplaning during fueling, but OK to deplane. So some local laws may be more strict than your Company Op Specs.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back