• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Arvin

Camp Barnabas Bound
FSI Helps Pilots and Techs Who've Lost Jobs

FlightSafety International yesterday announced a "Proficiency Protection Program" designed to help pilots and maintenance technicians of business aircraft who have become involuntarily unemployed since Jan. 1, 2009.

FSI will offer recurrent training at no cost to pilots of business aircraft who were training under a full- service contract at the time of their job loss in an aircraft type on which they were training. Maintenance technicians who were enrolled in FlightSafety's Master Technician program at the time of their job loss can receive the next course toward their Master Technician rating at no cost. Complete program details, including eligibility requirements and training request forms, are at www.flightsafety.com.

Aren't they just honoring their contracts that are already pre-paid?

It still costs them money since they are training guys they don't *have* to train. Or should I say it affects their margin. I think it is a good thing. It is going to foster some loyalty to those helped by it that one day wind up being able to make decisions as to where to train.

They are not just honoring the contracts that they had with the owner / operators (Managment). I work for the other brand (CAE). We refer to them as brand X, unofficial company policy, ha. This is a wonderful, thoughtful, and stategic move.

FROM THE WEB SITE.
Pilots who have become involuntarily unemployed can receive recurrent training at no cost in an aircraft type they trained on under a FlightSafety Full Service agreement. Technicians enrolled in the Master Technician program can receive the next course toward their rating at no cost.

Who can take advantage of this no-cost training?
Those who met the following criteria at the time of job loss.
  • Was employed full time as a pilot or technician of a business aircraft.
  • Was training with FlightSafety under a Full Service pilot contract in good standing or enrolled in the Master Technician program.
  • Became involuntarily unemployed as a result of staff reduction or job elimination since Jan. 1, 2009.
  • Pilots and maintenance technicians who have been provided FlightSafety training by a company, organization or individual since their job loss; or who have been laid off temporarily, furloughed or become unemployed for other reasons are not eligible.

What training will I receive and when?
  • Pilots can receive a recurrent training course in an aircraft type the pilot trained on under that Full Service agreement.
  • Technicians can receive the next course required in their pursuit of a Master Technician rating for the aircraft type they specified at the time of enrollment in the program.
  • The no-cost training program will remain in effect until Dec. 31, 2009.
  • FlightSafety will schedule the training on an as-available basis once eligibility has been verified.
  • Training must be completed while the pilot or technician remains unemployed and must begin prior to Dec. 31, 2009.

Last edited:
I agree this is a very smart move by FSI. I am fortunate enough to qualify for this program and waiting to hear back from FSI.

Having been let go about two months ago, I contacted both FSI and CAE to see if they would provide any discounts to an out of work pilot trying to remain current. (Hearing that both companies have many empty seats in the classroom, one would think FSI and CAE would jump at the opportunity to fill the class.)

CAE surprised me and quoted retail rates for training. They said that was "special pricing" for contractors. Only after several email and phone calls, they adjusted their pricing....only slightly.

FSI responded immediately and gave me a huge discount, several thousands less than CAE for the same training. Pretty surprising since CAE has always been less than FSI.

Unless CAE comes back with a comparable program or offers training for 75% off retail for everyone (yeah right), I have a feeling that FSI will recoup their money spent of free training by several fold in the future.

Latest resources

Back