FSDO CFI rides

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wmuflyguy said:
Oh and are they supposed to assign you a teaching task before you go or do they spring it on you when you get there? They didn't assign me one and a few people said they were supposed to at my school. Thanks again
Not to sound like a broken record, but referencing the PTS, it mentions nothing about preparation before the practical test, other than the obvious make sure that you've been thoroughly prepared by your CFI.

I suppose that the examiner could theoretically spring whatever topic to teach on you last minute. Personally, I had lesson plans drawn up for everything under the sun when I showed up for my practical. But I guess that you could stop and do a quick lesson plan before starting to teach and the examiner couldn't do much about it.

For that matter, I guess that you could show up and do the weight and balance there in front of their face and they couldn't say anything about the delay. Not that it makes a good impression, but turn about is fair play...

They spring it on you.

Also, dress professionally.

WMUflyer

I actually just took my CFI checkride today. 5 hour oral and 1.6 hour flight. all in all not to bad. passed and feel wonderful. nothing should be a surprise if you prepared. if you don't know the answer to a question, you should be able to know where to find it. I mean think if it as if he is a real student asking you a question. your not just gonna tell your student " I have no idea " and then move on. be organized with your material and paperwork, and most importantly be professional and think before you speak. I have a very cool examiner. I have heard many horror stories though. all depends on who you get. I got hit hard on FOI, Regs, Airplane, Endorsements, Charts, and Scenarios. but this is stuff you should already know to the T. Good luck and let us know how you do. It's not as bad as youi think I promise.

Just finished my initial MEI with the FSDO. I got lucky as they came to my school (about an hour and a half drive from FSDO) to administer the test. Passed the oral that ended up lasting about five hours. Had to cancel the flight cause of weather and got a letter of discontinuance. Rescheduled flight and finished a few days later. Passed the checkride after a two-hour flight. Fortunately, other Pilots at my school had recently had the same examiner. I was very surprised we spent a few minutes on VMC when I was prepared to teach for at least an hour on the subject. I think he forgot until the end of the oral that it was an initial MEI instead of a CFI. Even after just completing the flight in a Beech Duchess, he handed me a white slip for the CFI instead of the MEI. He laughed and said I guess it shows what ride he does the most of. I joked he could just write me another one for the MEI and I would keep the CFI. He didn’t seem very amused.

Overall, it was a very positive experience. I asked him before hand if there was a specific lesson plan he wanted me to teach. He said come with a binder prepared to teach anything. It did help to talk to previous checkride applicants but not as much as I thought it would. They all said to expect at least an hour discussing VMC but it didn’t happen that way for me. Make sure you review the questions you missed on your written test. He looked up the codes and asked me a question from that subject area. He was very practical about the FOI’s and asks me questions about them as I was teaching or demonstrating. Every examiner is different and has their way of doing things within the scope of the PTS. I guess its luck of the draw who you get as far as the FSDO. Atleast with DPEs you get a list of possible Examiners and hopefully you know about and like one of them. Try not to stress yourself out too much as you prepare for your checkride. Good Luck

Congrats

glenko said:
Just finished my initial MEI with the FSDO.
Congrats. I'm sure that is a nice accomplishment to have completed.

Latest resources

Back