• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

inflightboi175

http://www.jsonline.com/business/53241102.html

Home » Business Business
New Midwest Airlines owner to cut 100 local jobs
By Tom Daykin of the Journal Sentinel
Posted: Aug. 14, 2009 2:38 p.m.

Midwest Airlines Inc. will cut about 100 jobs from its Milwaukee-area workforce, a reduction of about 9%, company chief executive officer Bryan Bedford said Friday.

Most of the job cuts from Midwest's Oak Creek headquarters and operations at Milwaukee's Mitchell International Airport are back-office and administrative positions that duplicate jobs at Indianapolis-based Republic Airways Holdings Inc., which completed its $31 million purchase of Midwest on July 31.

"We've got to make the airline highly efficient," Bedford said.

The jobs that remain intact include mechanics at Midwest's maintenance hanger, gate agents and ground crews at Mitchell International, and customer service representatives at the headquarters and reservations center, 6744 S. Howell Ave.

Many of those employees are needed because Republic's main business is operating commuter flights for Delta Air Lines Inc., United Airlines and other major carriers. As a result, Republic doesn't have a customer service department, marketing department and other operations used by the carriers that hire Republic.

The cuts of about 100 positions will leave Midwest with around 1,000 local employees, Bedford said. Midwest has around 1,600 employees, with 1,100 employees locally, he said. Employees who are laid off will receive severance packages, he said.

Around 160 employees are receiving layoff notices, Bedford said.

But some of those employees, including mechanics, are being offered positions with Republic Airlines, one of the airlines owned by the parent corporation, Republic Airways Holdings, he said. He said those employees were notified to make sure the company complies with the law requiring 60-day notices for layoffs.

Still up in the air is the fate of over 250 Midwest pilots and flight attendants who are represented by the Air Line Pilots Association and Association of Flight Attendants.

Those unions are negotiating with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, which represents union flight crews at Republic, over combining seniority lists of union flights crews from Republic and Midwest.

Meanwhile, Republic plans to add more flights to Midwest's schedule, which should create more jobs, Bedford said. Republic has already restored Midwest flights from Milwaukee to Louisville, Ky., and Los Angeles.

There also will be a change in aircraft, with Midwest dropping its nine 99-seat Boeing 717 jets, to be replaced by nine 99-seat Embraer 190 jets. Under Republic's ownership, Midwest's fleet will include a dozen 76-seat Embraer 170 aircraft, and 12 regional jets with 37 to 50 seats.

Also, Republic on Thursday emerged as the winning bidder in a bankruptcy auction for Denver-based Frontier Airlines. Bedford said some of the 138-seat Airbus A319 jets used by Republic will likely be shifted into service for Midwest flights to West Coast destinations.

Last edited:
Good thing FAPA gave up the 3 year DEN fence... Instead of collection unemployment and waiting for your $140K a year job... YOU GET TO MOVE OR COMMUTE TO MILWAUKEE for maybe $75K this year and $65 next year!!! Is this the QOL the animal smokers want, well here you go. I'm telling you, as I've said before... FAPA F'd up, threw us down the river. Who gets to pay the price? Not the capt's, its gonna be the FO's living/commuting all over the country. Look what we got ourselves into. This is the most bogus thing I've encountered in my entire career and I'm disgusted with FAPA

That didn't take long. Hopefully he means FUTURE 318's but somehow I don't think so.

This is like watching a car wreck. Pretty sure I know the outcome but I can't take my eyes off the impending disaster.

Gup

Good thing FAPA gave up the 3 year DEN fence... Instead of collection unemployment and waiting for your $140K a year job... YOU GET TO MOVE OR COMMUTE TO MILWAUKEE for maybe $75K this year and $65 next year!!! Is this the QOL the animal smokers want, well here you go. I'm telling you, as I've said before... FAPA F'd up, threw us down the river. Who gets to pay the price? Not the capt's, its gonna be the FO's living/commuting all over the country. Look what we got ourselves into. This is the most bogus thing I've encountered in my entire career and I'm disgusted with FAPA

Might be TDY until these mysterious 190's show up... who knows?

He says Midwest (Republic) is supposed to be getting 9 190's, but not a peep about where they are coming from or when they are showing up.

I'm sorry you got robbed, but two weeks ago it was Republic or bust.

The fact is you'll never know if this would have ever made it past the decision board.

Sounds like a lot of things had been worked out already.

Good luck.

That didn't take long. Hopefully he means FUTURE 318's but somehow I don't think so.

This is like watching a car wreck. Pretty sure I know the outcome but I can't take my eyes off the impending disaster.

Gup

The A318s were probably on the way out anyway, but now they will go to MKE to compete with you guys! That's great for you, and might make your decision to go into MKE a car wreck.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Someone on another thread said this will be done via a code share and that by Jan there would be enough flying for there to be a base in MKE (take it for what's it's worth).

They also made a good point that this does nothing but suck that much more for Midwest Pilots.

What a hostile environment Republic seems to be brewing up...they obviously don't have a clue when it comes to the labor relations department.

The A318s were probably on the way out anyway, but now they will go to MKE to compete with you guys! That's great for you, and might make your decision to go into MKE a car wreck.

Bye Bye--General Lee

What part of this quote did you get the they are flying 318's?

Also, Republic on Thursday emerged as the winning bidder in a bankruptcy auction for Denver-based Frontier Airlines. Bedford said some of the 138-seat Airbus A319 jets used by Republic will likely be shifted into service for Midwest flights to West Coast destinations.

Porch, I fear your right. I wish you guys could have voted on the outcome that your President decided on his own..

Latest resources

Back