Frontier cuts 100 jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BLUE BAYOU

@media print { body:before {content: url(http://cleanprint.net/pt/t?&d=2021&p=0&s=NF,NF); } } // cpObject for CleanPrint cpObject={ adPath:'/search_article', adDomain:function(){ var hName = location.hostname; return hName=hName?hName.replace('origin.','www.'):''; }() } // CleanPrint config values var cleanprintConfiguration = { divisionId: '2021', templateId: '3460', tPath: "/fdcp", excludes:['div.articleEmbeddedAdBox','div.articleOptions','div.excludeFromPrint']};
track
del.icio.usDiggRedditYahooMyWebGoogleFacebook
info.jpg
What's this?
Print Email Share
Frontier cutting 100 jobs, slowing growth
By CATHERINE TSAI AP Business Writer
Article Last Updated: 12/05/2007 07:48:21 PM MST

var requestedWidth = 0;
if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } DENVER—Frontier Airlines said Wednesday it is letting go about 100 people amid jet fuel costs that have risen 18 percent since October.
It also said it expected a pre-tax loss of 58 cents to 68 cents per share for its December quarter, excluding special items.
CEO Sean Menke said employees were told Wednesday that the Denver-based carrier was cutting its indirect labor work force by 10 percent. Spokesman Joe Hodas described the jobs as corporate jobs not directly related to flight operations and said the cuts represented 1.4 percent of the total work force.
The layoffs were expected to save Frontier about $5 million on an annualized basis, Menke said.
The airline also plans to scale back how much it expands its available seat miles, an industry unit that factors in the number of seats available and the number of miles flown. It also is evaluating the size of its fleet, Menke said.
The carrier plans to reduce mainline year-over-year growth in available seat miles through the first three months of 2008 from 13.7 percent to 8.6 percent, Menke said.
"In contrast to encouraging year-over-year unit revenue improvements for November and October, the cost of jet fuel has climbed 18 percent since October when we last provided an earnings estimate for the December quarter," Menke said.
Several other airlines have announced plans to slow growth and cut costs to deal with higher fuel prices and the prospect of an economic slowdown that could have people flying less.
Frontier reported record load factors, or occupancy, for November for the sixth straight month. The load factor was 78.1 percent, up from 72.8 percent in November 2006. Revenue passenger miles, which refers to one paying passenger flown one mile, rose 22.5 percent to 788.8 million. Frontier announced its news after the market closed. Shares of Frontier Airlines Holdings Inc. closed unchanged at $5.80 Wednesday. Shares have traded between $4.51 and $8.22 in the last 52 weeks.

I don't know about the other airlines but our load factors the last 2 weeks absolutely stink. Of course it is a dead period, but it looks like the holiday period also looks a little light compare to last year. How the other guys/gals doing?

Damn, that's gotta be one of the ugliest post's I've seen. Can you remove some of those hyperlinks?

To answer your question, United's loads looked light over Thanksgiving.

Yes my friend, looking for a new job... This is the opportunity WN has been waiting for... Adios

Looking for a new job? No one would ever call me an optimist, but you might not want to jump off of the bridge just yet.

Does frontier need to make a lot of improvements, you bet your arse. I consider 100 pogues over at the GO a good start. I am not thrilled about a reduction in growth, but we are still going to grow (albiet not as much as planned and not as much as lynx, republic, express jet, and whomever else we have hired to fly "a whole different cluster fuk").

The best news of late was the resignation of our marketing guru. Hopefully that will put an end to our "special forces" tactic of sneaking into a new market and then sneaking out hoping no one noticed we were there trying to produce revenue (i.e. lax, stl, lax part II, stl part II, mem, etc.)

Things need to change, but I am not dusting off the interview suit just yet. 2008 is going to be interesting.

Yes my friend, looking for a new job... This is the opportunity WN has been waiting for... Adios

Hang on! I have never felt more optimistic about this company.**I just wish we had the Dash400s under our seniority and we flew 318s instead of the Republic flying the EMBs.

Sean, is being proactive and strong. A good CEO does not sit still and wait to "see" what happens.

I am very sad that people have to lose their jobs but the GO was FAT in employees.

The economy is voitile as you can see with OIL speculations, subprime, credit crunch etc...F9 was one of the first to start "pulling back" and preparing for the worst. IMHO, we will come out of this stronger.

Sit still, wait until we are out of the mess. See if Sean's move will create a better company. If not, then "YOU ARE FREE TO MOVE ABOUT THE CABIN!"

F9 is not the only one with "thorns" on their side. I bet you, all your airlines are feeling the pinch.

At this moment in time, with the economy so volitile, It would be wise to start being proactive with your finances too. Staying at F9 is a good POTENTIAL investment. If we pull out of this mess, you will have a great career and a good seniority. If we "BOMB", then we go get jobs in CHINA or DUBAI.

CYA

Animal Tale, FWIW, I think that F9's being very smart by making small cuts early. The Thanksgiving holiday traffic should be a wakeup call for everyone in this industry. The economy's slowing down FAST and the airlines are about to see a big dropoff in revenue.

The air traffic is done growing for this business cycle. Get ready for a wave of furloughs for all airlines.
I'm even hearing word that UPS & FedEx are seeing lighter loads for this time of year.

Every single person in this industry should be tightening their belts and preparing for leaner times.
After United finished recalling, I was 425 from the bottom prior to recalls after almost 5 years of furlough. I figure that I'll eventually be back out on the streets in this downturn. Personally, I'd rather be overprepared for another furlough.

Is this akin to jumping out of the frying pan into the fire? I don't think the bottom of any passenger airline list is any better than where you're at. If you want to take some of the uncertainty out of the equation then a major cargo carrier might be the answer.

Latest resources

Back