• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Frontier Asked for 20% Cut?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's the problem, what you see in the quartely reports are averages at the legacies. They take all their CASM and average them together. At NWA the CASM spread looks like this international is running about 20 cents a mile domestic is about 8.5 cents a mile, and regional is about 15.5 cents per mile. When put together it's about 11 cents a mile for the entire operation. SWA has only one CASM that is about 8.0 cents. When SWA fuel hedges run out it will go up to about 9.5 cents a mile. So at NWA the competeing seat will be about 1 cent lower per mile 11% lower than SWA. When you consider that SWA has such an absolutely lean operation, the only place the can get cuts is in the employee area. SWA employee costs are 3.14 cents a mile and NWA is 2.12 cents a mile. So for SWA to get an exact match of the CASM it would need to reduce the CASM by 1 cent per mile. A 33% reduction for all employees, but since that would be too much for some employee groups more would have to be taken from the pilots.

Furthermore, NWA will be offering additional service on domestic flights because of the higher RPM on the international routes. So not only will SWA be more expensive, it will offer less service. This is all compliments of the United States bankruptcy law.

Out of curiosity, where are all the ASM costs published?

That's the problem, what you see in the quartely reports are averages at the legacies. They take all their CASM and average them together. At NWA the CASM spread looks like this international is running about 20 cents a mile domestic is about 8.5 cents a mile, and regional is about 15.5 cents per mile. When put together it's about 11 cents a mile for the entire operation. SWA has only one CASM that is about 8.0 cents. When SWA fuel hedges run out it will go up to about 9.5 cents a mile. So at NWA the competeing seat will be about 1 cent lower per mile 11% lower than SWA. When you consider that SWA has such an absolutely lean operation, the only place the can get cuts is in the employee area. SWA employee costs are 3.14 cents a mile and NWA is 2.12 cents a mile. So for SWA to get an exact match of the CASM it would need to reduce the CASM by 1 cent per mile. A 33% reduction for all employees, but since that would be too much for some employee groups more would have to be taken from the pilots.

Furthermore, NWA will be offering additional service on domestic flights because of the higher RPM on the international routes. So not only will SWA be more expensive, it will offer less service. This is all compliments of the United States bankruptcy law.

SWA does not have the expense of little regional jets. In all of your posts you conveniently leave this expense out.
On a route where NWA is paying 15.5c/mile to carry 50-70 people, SWA is paying 8c a mile to carry 130+.

Have you seen some of these legacy captains? It is hard flying an ILS when your trifocals won't let you see over that massive belly blocking the entire panel. Or when you nose and ear hair start to look like needles on the screen, maybe it's time to give them a trim.

Or how about a LCC (low cost cockpit) Captain trying to fly an ILS after staying over night in the luxurious "Q" gardens in NYC. Even if you get the top level bed on a tri-level bunk. Man the good life. Maybe you can get a good deal on a used FEMA trailer. REmember some of those old fart "legacy pilots" actually lived in Manhattan back when this was a profession. How many LCC pilots live in Manhattan??????????????????? Get the tip cup out

A 33% reduction for all employees, but since that would be too much for some employee groups more would have to be taken from the pilots.

You have got to be the stupidest fuc#ing pilot on earth. All you revel in is the day when Southwest loses money, and has to cut pilot pay. Then what? Tell Northwest you want to give them more money back since your own pay might stop that from happening. I can't believe you are actually a line pilot, maybe you're not. At the very least you must be a Red Book guy.:puke:

I was gonna say that but I didn't wanna be so harsh. My wife wants me to find my sensitive side. But I agree 1000%

SWA does not have the expense of little regional jets. In all of your posts you conveniently leave this expense out.
On a route where NWA is paying 15.5c/mile to carry 50-70 people, SWA is paying 8c a mile to carry 130+.
A regional jet is not a competeing seat with SWA, thus it is not considered in any of my posts.

You have got to be the stupidest fuc#ing pilot on earth. All you revel in is the day when Southwest loses money, and has to cut pilot pay. Then what? Tell Northwest you want to give them more money back since your own pay might stop that from happening. I can't believe you are actually a line pilot, maybe you're not. At the very least you must be a Red Book guy.:puke:
No, I'm merely stating the facts in this situation. This industry is continually creating positions that create cost structures that no longer support the previous position. In other words, SWA created a cost structure, that forced a lower cost structure, that will force a lower cost structure.................. Get my drift? The reason SWa has been immune to the system is because it wasn;t on the same playing field as it is now. However, you can choose not to believe a word I've said, but the legacy management didn't start lying to the pilots until they started lying to the pilots; Remeber that.

Have you seen some of these legacy captains? It is hard flying an ILS when your trifocals won't let you see over that massive belly blocking the entire panel. Or when you nose and ear hair start to look like needles on the screen, maybe it's time to give them a trim.

Or how about a LCC (low cost cockpit) Captain trying to fly an ILS after staying over night in the luxurious "Q" gardens in NYC. Even if you get the top level bed on a tri-level bunk. Man the good life. Maybe you can get a good deal on a used FEMA trailer. REmember some of those old fart "legacy pilots" actually lived in Manhattan back when this was a profession. How many LCC pilots live in Manhattan??????????????????? Get the tip cup out

I know a lady pilot at polar ,(FO) ,who lives in Manhattan, ....

Meanwhile, Beechnuts' laughing his a$$ off for stirring a rumor into a thick BS stew! That's rich, man!

Funny. But who the hell would want to live in NYC with all those rude people, the filth, traffic, terrorist attacks? I'll keep my mountain, thank you. Besides, are you missing my humor or am I hitting a little too close to your ever expanding waistline?

And isn't this thread about Frontier? Thanks for keeping it alive.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back