• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Frontier and Cal express flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't have the press release handy, but i know for a fact that this RFP is ONLY for 70 seat aircraft. This was commnicated to us in several meetings as well as the investor call the day after the announcement.

I don't have the press release handy, but i know for a fact that this RFP is ONLY for 70 seat aircraft. This was commnicated to us in several meetings as well as the investor call the day after the announcement.

Thats interesting. XJT put in a bid on that flying for 70 seats with no 70 seat planes?

Frontier courting regional clientele
More than 50 communities within 1,200 miles of DIA are asked about being served by smaller planes.

By Kelly Yamanouchi
Denver Post Staff Writer

Frontier Airlines has issued a request for proposals from communities interested in attracting flights on the carrier's regional jets or turboprop planes.

The Denver-based airline made the request this week to more than 50 communities throughout Colorado and within a radius of about 1,200 miles of Denver.

The move comes as Frontier starts up a subsidiary that will provide service with 74-seat Bombardier Q400 turboprop planes beginning in mid-2007. The carrier plans to fly the planes to as many as 18 destinations in Colorado and the Rocky Mountains.

Frontier also plans to expand its fleet of 70-seat regional jets to as many as 20 aircraft and is seeking a new regional-jet operator to replace Horizon Air.
According to an analyst report from Raymond James & Associates Inc., SkyWest and Republic airlines are "the likely leaders in the competition for this business."

In Colorado, communities including Steamboat Springs, Grand Junction, Aspen and Vail have expressed interest in Frontier flights. Airports outside Colorado also are interested in luring the carrier.

The turboprops and the regional jets are smaller than Frontier's "mainline" Airbus jets, which seat 114 or 132 passengers.

Staff writer Kelly Yamanouchi can be reached at 303-954-1488 or [email protected].

I don't see SkyWest getting it, as there has been alot of talk at RAH about how UAL has non-compete agreements out of their hubs. If true, SkyWest could only do it through ASA, but RAH could do it through Republic. Don't know if it's true, but also heard Wexford (a financial group) owns alot of Frontier - they are also in bed with Bedford (RAH).

Thats interesting. XJT put in a bid on that flying for 70 seats with no 70 seat planes?

Didn't Republic do this exact same thing before they ever even had 1 EMB-170 on line? It has to start somewhere.

Well, I for one would like to see Mesa get some of the Frontier flying. Denver is a great domicile.

Not gonna happen, of course. Scope issues with United is what lost our contract in the first place.

Oh, and I don't remember a bunch of lov-ee dove-ee press releases about how much Frontier loved us when they/we cut loose, as opposed to when Horizon bailed. Read into that what you will.

Well, I for one would like to see Mesa get some of the Frontier flying. Denver is a great domicile.

Not gonna happen, of course. Scope issues with United is what lost our contract in the first place.

Oh, and I don't remember a bunch of lov-ee dove-ee press releases about how much Frontier loved us when they/we cut loose, as opposed to when Horizon bailed. Read into that what you will.

Could Mesa use thier Freedom certificate? It will be interesting to see how this plays out...sure seems like CHQ/SA/REP has alot on thier plate already for next year. Who would they short on airplanes to get the service started?

Last edited:
I don't believe anyone was screwed. The agreement between F9 and Horizon included a review period during the 3rd year. Both sides agreed a seperation would be mutually beneficial. Horizon gets 9 planes back and F9 gets a cost-center and a cheaper feed. If you read F9's financial and do a little math the Horizon fee for departure was the most expensive on the planet, close to $5000 per departure.

Latest resources

Back