From Sun Country Furlough to Southwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cap'nHal

Here are a few questions about the reality of getting on with Southwest. I am a 12,000 hour Ex DC-10 Capt. (thousands and thousands pic) and B-737-NG Capt. (just under 500 pic) furloughed from SCA.

Do you absolutely HAVE to know someone who works there to get an interview?

From paperwork into the mail to them to interview, how long does it take?

From successful completion of the interview process to class date, how long have you been waiting?

Will having my type and pic help me get an interview sooner?

Do I pass up on other airlines (jetBlue, airtran, Exec. Jet) who act faster?

Cap'n,

You don't need to know anyone at Southwest to get an interview, or to get hired. You do need three LOR's from people who know you well. The folks who write your LOR's may get phone calls from SWA asking about you. Everyone who meets the mins is called for an interview.

Pre-9/11 with the type rating it took about 2 months to get the interview. I don't know what it would be now.

Take a look at the link at the top of the page for the SWA pool list to see the latest on the hiring pool.

As far as other airlines, worry about that when you have more than one job offer. Until then apply everywhere, I'm sure with your time you won't have any trouble finding something, but it may take awhile.

T1bubba

I don't think you have to know anyone (but it doesn't hurt). I had one rec letter from a SWA pilot.

I had my app in for one month before they invited me for an interview, which was a month after the invitation (so 2 months from app to interview).

Completed interview/type process beginning of September--still waiting (predicting April with an outside shot at March). If they are training continuously, figure 3-6 month wait.

Anyone who meets their mins will get an interview, but guys who already have the 737 type get preferential treatment on the interview schedule.

Can't answer that last one; how bad do you want to work for SWA? How long can you afford to wait? I'd say the whole process will take a minimum of 6 months from application to class date (assuming no more "pauses" in training).

Check out albieF15's topic on "JetBlue vs Fedex" for some insights on JetBlue. Good luck with the job hunt! :)

Here is my .02 cents

I cannot respond about the duration of application to interview at SWA, however, I will comment about a statement you made.

In this market, I wouldn't even think of passing on an employment opportunity (with respect to flying). I would encourage you to forward everything to JetBlue, AirTran, UPS, EJA, EJI, etc. Flood the market!!

FurloughedGal

Oh, no, sit and wait for SWA to call (I forgot that we could be competing for the same positions and you have more PIC Jet than I do.....and total time.....and....lol).

I forwarded my pilot info sheet in December of 2000 and didn’t get an interview until August of 2001. I didn’t have the type and that’s why it took so long, however, it’s my understanding that with the type it’s a considerably shorter period of time to wait for a call to interview. Since you have the type I wouldn’t think your wait will be all that long, however, I wouldn’t pass up any job offer you get, you may be swimming in the pool for a while.

Knowing someone at SWA I don’t think is any big ticket; it’s all about your attitude. They key into that in the interview and it’s attitude that counts…how well will you fit in at SWA. Personally I think it’s important to have at least one reference from someone who works at SWA (personal opinion) and that your references are fairly recent, say within the past 8-12 months.

Good luck!:)

Hal,

I didn't have an SWA reference prior to the interview.

I was in an interview two months after I sent in the application. I was the only typed guy out of 15 the day of my interview. I suspect you pretty much have to have the type now.

It took two months to hear I was in the pool and it's been 7 months to the day since I initially sent in my application packet and I have 1 or 2 more to go. I don't think your wait will be as long. I think the wait will be more like 5 to 6 months from sending in the app to sitting in class.

EJA was my backup plan If SWA didn't hire me the first time through. I have several friends at ExecJet who have decided to make careers of it. They brag about their frequent flyer miles and automatic upgrades at the Hilton. The flying is interesting and varied. I personally think being on duty essentially seven days straight without any real time to yourself would be pretty tough. It's great equipment though. You can bid a new aircraft every year if you want to. Upgrade to Captain is about 8 months last I heard. From my research, first year pay is generally better than a regional and a bit less than a major. The training contract is for a year, but I know a guy who quit (at least he told me he quit) after 3 months and they didn't go after him.

If you want to work at SWA, I would get the process started and see where it takes you. Who knows where you'll be in six months anyway?

dhampton

Latest resources

Back