From Pilot to FBI

jordan

Total Time
Wondering if anyone has made a transition from being a Commercial Pilot to working for the FBI. I am in such a situation and was curious if anyone had experience. Thanks.

Dep676

My Glock is bigger!!!!!
Total Time
Enough
How do you land that? What will you be flying for the FBI? What kind of time do they look for?

Good Luck

bobbysamd

Total Time
Flying for law enforcement

There's a twist to this kind of flying. You have to be a law enforcement officer for the particular agency first. Then, they'll teach you to be a pilot. You can't be a pilot first and be hired as a pilot.

This seems to be true across the board, from local police departments, to Customs, to the DEA. I had a friend who was a a graduate of the Oklahoma Law Enforcement Academy and a former Chickasha, Oklahoma, police officer. He went to work with us at Riddle and got on with Mesa. His goal was not the majors but flying for the FBI. He would have been well-qualfied. Dunno if he made it.

Hope that helps a little.

jordan

Total Time
Sorry, let me clarify. I was not speaking of flying for the FBI, but becoming an agent for them.

SDF2BUF2MCO

Bird Nerd
Total Time
Adding
Back in the 80's it used to be the FBI was looking for lawyers and accounts (or whatever field) who they could train to be agents. The way it was explained to me you could teach lawyers and accountants to be G men but you couldn't teach G men to be lawyers and accountants. If that logic holds true today, then it would seem plausible they'd rather have a qualified pilot who they could in turn train to be a FBI agent. Police departments tend to do the opposite. Hired to be a cop then train in a specialty. Unless it has changed, need to have that "important" college degree for the FBI.

con-pilot

Total Time
The only Federal Law Enforcement Agency that hires pilot straight off the street as full time pilots without have them become agents first is the United States Marshal Service.

That is because of the mission of the Air Operations Division of the USMS is to fly airline type aircraft (B-727s, DC-9s and MD-80s) transporting thousands of prisoners and illegal immigrants around the world.

You can’t take an agent off the street and turn him into a B-727 captain overnight.

B-J-J Fighter

Royce Gracie in Action
Total Time
>4000
Gov't Flying

I would like to get into flying for one of the federal gov't law enforcement agencies. I bet it would be a lot of fun.

MartinFierro

Flyin' Gaucho
Total Time
is now
Jordan,

It is true to fly for the FBI one first has to be hired as a Special Agent with them. I have a friend who has been hired as such, and will most likely fly for them (he is currently in New Agent Training in Quantico). I am in the application process, which takes forever.
A few months ago they were actively recruiting fixed-wing pilots to become agents. However, this is no longer the case per se. But it will help your application be more competitive. If you have specific questions, PM me.
They have some Cessnas, other light aircraft, a few small jets, and apparently a new G-V.

FlyinBrian

Office Slut
Total Time
I considered doing this. I read an advertisement for FBI agents that specifically identified fixed wing pilots as something they had a need for. I filled out their looooong application, and it took them several months to get back to me with a "no thanks" letter.

I got the feeling from filling out the application that big plusses are:
True Fluency in another language
Prior Military service
Prior law enforcement service
Accountant certification.

Good luck!

boscenter

DC-9 Evangelist
Total Time
--
Anyone know if they fly any helo's in addition to their fixed-wing fleet?

Anaconda

FLY ARMY!
Total Time
Low!
i have a friend that starts tng with the fbi on monday. he has made the transition from mil helo pilot to regional jet pilot and now to fbi. he does not have a degree in accounting, doesn't speak another language, and does not have prior law enforcement tng. being a pilot and having been in the mil seems to be the only thing unique about him that i can think of. looks as if he will be in the roanoke (sp) field office in conjunction with his wife, where they have a 182. with 4000 hrs he is the most qualified person there. and yeah, there are at least 2 blackhawks for HRT and the aforementioned GV...

BMD

Total Time
customs

Customs will also hire pilots and then make them agents.

flint4xx

Total Time
10000+
I flew for one of the Federal agencies mentioned above. I had to do five years on the street until I was able to get into the aviation unit. I will say that they will spend alot of money on you for training and such, but when it comes right down to brass tacks, it sounds alot cooler than it really is. If you want to be a career pilot, you will probably be quite frustrated after awhile with all the BS, and not as many hours as you think. I will say that the quality of life is better as I worked M-F with weekends off unless something was going on. I also know a couple of guys that weren't willing to move around for the open flying job, or didn't have very good reputations as agents, and are still trying to get into the unit after more than TEN years.

Each agency has a different culture and mission. I would be very careful if all you want to do is fly. I arrived at my agency as a former cop, and never had the intent to fly. It just worked out that way, and it led me to my current job on the red belly. I will make over my career more than two million dollars more than if I stayed a fed.

If you want to be an agent, go to the FBI. It really is the one to work for these days. All of them have a lengthy and thorough hiring process.

Hope that helps.

BTW, flying helicopters for a police department is by far the most fun of the law enforcement flying.

Last edited: