From Emirates to Virgin America - his organs were "boiling" in Dubai - blog

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

I found this interesting story on another forum. I am glad that he and his family are happier now.... That is what really counts! The story is written in a very dramatic fashion (no surprise) - but maybe some existing EK or other Gulf pilots can relate to his expat family issues.

I am sure commuting to a SFO crash pad initially from FLL probably did not help repair his relationship. Sounds like he was hired by Virgin America a few years ago in 2011 - so, hopefully he has enough seniority to hold a base closer to Ft. Lauderdale like JFK.

See blog found on the Virgin America website below:

http://www.virgin.com/travel/full-circle-pilots-journey-home

His move was, and continues, to be - met with a lot of raised eyebrows...from a material perspective.

There's more to choose from

The draw of the US is strong for some ... But if you go back - DAL, UAL, SWA, FDX, UPS are viable... JB, AK perhaps for 2nd tier choice.

But VA, not so sure...

fv

Last edited:
His move was, and continues, to be - met with a lot of raised eyebrows...from a material perspective.

There's more to choose from

The draw of the US is strong for some ... But if you go back - DAL, UAL, SWA, FDX, UPS are viable... JB, AK perhaps for 2nd tier choice.

But VA, not so sure...

fv

We had an individual leave here to go to VA..., he tried to come back but the company wouldn't take him back because he left mid-contract and just after upgrade...., apparently VA isn't what he was hoping for...!

Dude commutes transcon for VA pay and is not a zombie? Okay. Awful brutal puff piece esp trashing another airline.

Growth plan stagnated, pay increased only marginally, and the IPO payout angered a lot of employees. Sounds like he had a good gig at EK but just missed home too much. That's fine but I don't think VX is a step up from EK. As for the legacy airline comments, keep in mind no legacies were hiring in 2011. I too applied to VX in 2011 and at the time only VX and NK were hiring, along with a couple at US Airways. But nearly all of the 2011 'Major' hiring was at Virgin/Spirit. This individual is by choice a west coast based pilot and is not at NYC by choice.

Last edited:
Growth plan stagnated, pay increased only marginally, and the IPO payout angered a lot of employees. Sounds like he had a good gig at EK but just missed home too much. That's fine but I don't think VX is a step up from EK. As for the legacy airline comments, keep in mind no legacies were hiring in 2011. I too applied to VX in 2011 and at the time only VX and NK were hiring, along with a couple at US Airways. But nearly all of the 2011 'Major' hiring was at Virgin/Spirit. This individual is by choice a west coast based pilot and is not at NYC by choice.

He shoulda gone to spirit. Fll based, although prob overqualified.

Takes all kinds, I guess...

Good for him. We all make educated choices nowadays ( the info is out there). Only he and his wife know what's best for his family. East Coast to West Coast commute isn't fun but it's doable. Tail end of his trips are probably all commutable. Plus now VA has a NY base so FL-NY commuting is pretty standard.

Latest resources

Back