From Cargo Direct to the Majors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cookmg

I'm curious as to how likely it may be to get a job with a major or national without multi-crew, 121, turbine PIC time? Are pilots with single pilot, 135, over 12,500 lbs, turbine PIC often considered by the biggest airlines? What if they had a solid internal reference? It seems that the majors would want guys with the experience most similar to their operations. However, it's hard to argue that the cargo pilot would not have many great skills to offer as well.

Just curious.

Thanks.

Try the regionals. Your qulifications might get you hired at a regional but a Major.....Get real! NOT EVEN CLOSE!!

Why should they? It's an employers market, they can be very selective. Without CRM and 121 experience, your resume wouldn't get a second glance.

cookmg said:
I'm curious as to how likely it may be to get a job with a major or national without multi-crew, 121, turbine PIC time? Are pilots with single pilot, 135, over 12,500 lbs, turbine PIC often considered by the biggest airlines?
The majors can require thousands of hours of jet/crew experience. If it were possible then I and many others would have done it. I was shopping around with 4000+ hours of hardcore freight time and couldn't get a "drop dead" from the big guys. But flying the ERJ for Eagle is a lot of fun and I'm pretty happy.

IHF

Last edited:
I went from flying 135 cargo to TWA. I guess it wouln't have been considered a 'major' but it wasn't a regional either. The end result is that I'm now at a regional.

You might as well swing for the fences. If you have some friends at the airline who can help you've got a chance.

That being said I'd still apply everywhere.

If you go to the regionals first you're more of a known quantity. Just be sure to get that 1000 PIC turbine before you quit flying boxes.

Lequip said:
Try the regionals. Your qulifications might get you hired at a regional but a Major.....Get real! NOT EVEN CLOSE!!
Strange, an AMF guy just got hired by Cathay Pacific. Oh, and UPS, Southwest, HP, Frontier, Alaska hire freight dogs too. Have fun at the regionals with your shrinking salaries and looming furloughs.

vclean said:
Why should they? It's an employers market, they can be very selective. Without CRM and 121 experience, your resume wouldn't get a second glance.

Ahaaahhaaaaahaaaahhaaaaahhaaaaahaaahaaahaa...

That has got to be one of the funniest responses I have read in a long time. Tell that to the 135 guys (without any previous 121 time) who have gotten hired at America West, ATA, SWA, etc , in recent times.

Can we say together, "ooops"....

3 5 0

Latest resources

Back