Friends Network

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JJET44

I was recently pink slipped from my company (Flt Dept dissolved). I immediately signed up for all the job boards and started throwing out resumes for all flying jobs, to include regional airlines, corporate, charter, and cargo. Some jobs I am more than qualified for but still no phone calls.

A week back I decided to call some of my old friends and coworkers and tell them of my situation. I asked if they would keep me in mind and to let me know if anything comes open. By the third call I had a good solid lead on a job. My friend called a friend who called someone that he did some contract work for and by the next day I had a job. I've told many about this and they have all said the same thing...Pilots are being hired through word-of-mouth referrals and not from responding to job postings!!!!

Folks, don't be afraid to network! Lean on your friends, that's what they're there for. I once helped a friend with a job and I felt great about it, they will too.

Swallow you pride and get back to work........Just my $.02

JJET

Last edited:
Same here. No hits on any of the numerous job boards I was a member. It all came down to knowing the right people.

JJet44-

I am glad things worked out for you. When I was furloughed in January 2009, I was not quite as lucky. I have several friends in the industry, however, they were getting furloughed like I was, already furloughed, or staring at the dark clouds approaching on the horizon.

I don't think it has anything to do with swallowing pride.

Tell that to the CaptSeth and Say Again. One of my Coworkers just found a job through a friend before the job could even be posted.

I'm finding out that a lot of jobs that are posted are done as a formality, because that's what's required by company policy due EOE. My last company did the same thing. We knew who we were going to hire, for the last two pilot slots, even before the job announcement was made.

Also I'm not just talking about your friends that you speak with on a regular basis. I'm talking about friends that you may have had back five or ten years ago. The one friend that helped me, I haven't spoken with since college and that was ten years ago.

Latest resources

Back