Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

91100 100 set

to the book
Just curious. I got a call the other day from a coworker. I was supposed to fly with him, and he hadn't heard that I was out on medical leave. Aside from wishing me well, he told me how the drug testing people were looking specifically for me (and not the reserve guy) at the end of the day for a random. I've been away from work for almost a month, you'd think that word would have filtered down that I wasn't going to be there. Typical I guess.

But I got to thinking. In 6.5 years of 121 flying and 11.5 years that I've been subject to a random test, that was the first time I have ever been selected. Over the years, I've heard of people getting random tests twice in a 6 month period.

I remember hearing in training how my current and past employers "randomly select" people, and it did seem pretty random, even if I can't remember the details.

So I'm curious how often you all have been selected for a random test. Does it seem pretty random, or does a pattern develop?

In 10 years of 135 flying I was quized once. In 1 year of 121 flying I was quized 2 or 3 times as I recall.

Your assinged a number..prly the last 4 digits of your ssn. I suspect a random number generator is used to quiz the required percentage on a weekly/monthly basis in order to meet the yearly percentage requirement...which varies based on the number of employees subject to the testing.

I think that's how it works. I reallly don't pay attention to it, other than to keep track of the latest in masking drugs... ;-)

Haha...I had left the 135 world for the gov't trough and 6 months later I get a phone call saying I've been selected for a random drug test at my old employer. I said, "I don't work for you anymore". He said, "The DO didn't take your name off the books and you got picked. I tried to explain to them you don't work here they said, tough...get him in and have him pee in the bottle!"

Greeeaat!

Eric

this is how it was explained to me by a drug lady. the DOT requires something like 25% of workers in safety sensitive area's to be tested per year for alcohol and like 15% for drugs. all safety sensitive employees are in a computer database which will generate a random list consisting of 35% of the safety sensitive employees for alcohol and like 25% for drugs. the extra 10% for each is a safety buffer for factors like sick leave, family leave, military, off day when the drug people are in town. when the drug people go out to do testing they take the lists of the selected people and basically grab as many people as they can off the list. But they have no idea at that point if your working or sitting at home which means they may only get 5% of the list that day, in that case your name will again role over onto the yearly list to get pulled again. I always wonder how random it is as well, in 7 years I’ve never been randomed. My guess it that random computer generators aren’t always that random there’s usually some kind of pattern just due to how the data is requested by the person operating that program.

I've got a similar story. I think I said something to the effect of Kiss My A$$!

That seemed to take care of someone elses problem.

You're either subject to the testing or you're not. No black and white there.

There are percentages involved, but it is totally random. I've had New Hires do a Pre-Employment screen and get randomly selected the next week, I had one guy get selected three times in 4 months, and I have another guys who has been randomly selected in 4 years.

Who's got the DOT link for the annual 'verified positive' results. Do they lump everyone that is subject to DOT testing, or do they breakdown the pilot results.

I'm curious as to annual frequency of verified positives.

10 years in the 121 world and I haven't had a single test. I actually don't believe it's random whatsoever. At my old job, this one guy had a reputation as a "partier," and he was "randomly" tested every time he returned from vacation.

I used to think it was random...and then I left my previous employer. Wouldn't you know it, my last turn prior to my last overnight, I was luckily selected! Maybe it was random, I should have played the lottery that night.

I think it is 90% random, and 10% "Hmm, Surfer-Bill has long hair, talks funny, and wears an iPod around the airport. Stick his name in the pool".

15 years of airline for me = 4 random tests. I hate them, I just want to go home, and it's totally "no-win". The chance of a false positive is always there with any test.

Latest resources

Back