Freight Hauling jobs...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Freight Dog,

Are you based out of PDX or SEA by any chance? If so, can you tell me when the sun is coming back?

Seattle

Timebuilder's post is right on about Airnet. And yes, we are still hiring for the SIC program. New routes are coming out weekly (mostly weekends with the new DOT contract) and our biggest problem is filling them due to pilots bottlenecking through the training program.

hyper, what do you mean by bottlenecking?

thanks

Can't get them through fast enough to fill the slots.

I cannot see how flying around a traffic pattern all day with a student is valuable time. The best way to gain experience is to fly alone. Get together with two or three of your buddies and buy a used IFR equipped C-150 and fly X-country, IFR, in all types of weather. You and you alone will be responsible for the flight and will be gaining valuable experience in the process. Then, as soon as you build up the required time, try and get a job with an operator with an IFR certificate that flys a light twin or single engine planes-single pilot. The experience will make you a better pilot when you eventually get on with an operator in mulit-crew cockpits.

Unless you've instructed, you have no idea of the learning curve of a new instructor. You're going to see every possible mistake repeated over and over. You not only learn how to recover from every conceivable situation, you'll learn the answers to questions about aviation that you otherwise would never have dreamed of. And, you'll learn how you'll react to situations you'll rarely or never experience in other types of flying. IHMO, the knowledge and insight gained from a few hundred hours of instructing outweigh a few thousand hours of routine line flying.

Inline,

Get your CFII and MEI to add to your CFI and then give your student some real quality time...i.e. actual and emergencies galore in twins and you'll be singing a different story. It ain't all flying squares. Let 'em get one foot in the grave without dragging you in.

Photopilot,

I would be the first to agree that there are other acceptable avenues than instructing. I don't remember anybody saying that any other job is b.s., including Airnet. I would however, point out that with instructing, you are put into some unique situations that you did not create or expect. Much like an aircraft does to us in eventful moments. You are consistently going through emergency procedures and creating different scenarios for them, something that you don't regularly do in other jobs. Given the nature of haulin' freight at night to minimums consistently, I would GUESS that this may be the reason Airnet prefers instructors. I honestly don't know.

I chose instructing certainly not because I wanted to or had to. I chose it because I knew that I would learn a ton about flying just by teaching it, and I did. Probably more than I wanted to:eek:

seattle said:
Freight Dog,

Are you based out of PDX or SEA by any chance? If so, can you tell me when the sun is coming back?

Seattle

LOL... neither. I'm based in HNL, and sun is always around, and it's nice and warm.

Latest resources

Back