• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

freelance instructing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just a quick point about Wings Seminars...I went to one at SJT and the seminar was on Weight and Balance. The W&B expert told us that if you load a C172 and it doesn't fall on its tail you are within the aft C of G limit...so yes they can kill you!

I spent some time flying 207's in the back country. SOP for loading those airplanes was to load the nose baggage, then the front seat, and work aft. As people climbed in, the pilot would stand by the horizontal stab at the aft door, and place his hand at the small of his back, beneath the stab. As the tail lowered, and pressed against his hand and he was supporting it, he would start moving weight forward again. That usually consisted of piling baggage, ammo cans, whatever, on top of the passengers and beneath their feet to keep it forward.

In such cases, prevention of the tail hitting the ground was the weight and balance calculation. I would never encourage anyone to fly outside the aircraft limitations (including outside the CG envelope, or over gross), however.

At least on one occasion that I can recall, I replaced a pilot who was about to depart with a loaded airplane. He felt sick, and I took his place. I'm not a big person, and when I climbed in, the airplane fell on it's tail. Two assistants lifted the tail, and another grabbed two bags of lead shot to throw in the nose baggage compartment. Problem solved, and away we went.

If you've never worked an airplane in the back country or in such an environment, this may be a foriegn concept, but it's the way it's done.

As for the statement by the individual at the 'wings' seminar, at first blush it appears irresponsible. Perhaps he or she was simply making a point?

Latest resources

Back