Freelance Instructing as a current job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyf15

Hey guys, I've noticed that some companies have "Current aviation job" as a requirement in addition to hours/ratings/etc. Does being an active freelance instructor fulfill this requirement?

I actually owned and operated a flight school for a couple of years recently and listed that experience as "self employed". I've been called for four interviews in the past month. Just be prepared to back it up with tax records. I did this and haven't had a problem yet. I hope this helps.

flyf15 said:
Hey guys, I've noticed that some companies have "Current aviation job" as a requirement in addition to hours/ratings/etc. Does being an active freelance instructor fulfill this requirement?

Sure it does. Just ask a manager or supervisor at one or each of the FBO's you instruct out of if they are willing to be a reference for you, and list their name and contact info under your entry on the application as a free-lancer. If you instruct out of your own plane, then like the other guy said, tax records. Or you could use a former student or DE you've sent students to as a reference.

from my experience free lancing does not count as a current aviation job with ASA or XJT, but that was last summer.... ASA asked me to provide tax records as proof which I did not have. XJT said that "I wasn't serious about flying" W

pdkaviator said:
from my experience free lancing does not count as a current aviation job with ASA or XJT, but that was last summer.... ASA asked me to provide tax records as proof which I did not have. XJT said that "I wasn't serious about flying" W

That's a bummer, that's their loss I say. I was free lance because I was used to making the full $22 an hour instructing part time. Employed by an FBO or school would've got me about $10 an hour. Free lanceing is practically the only way to not starve while instructing without having a second job.

Latest resources

Back