Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

apcooper

Dude, where's my country?
How much would insurance be to give freelance instruction if you owned your own 172? Did I also hear you need commercial insurance? This doesn't make any sense since flight instruction IS NOT considered a commerical activity by the FAA. It is a part 91 op as we all know so why comm insurance? Enlighten me about this!!

insurance

yes I looked into at one point for a privately owned aircraft in a 172 it about $1500.00 a year. Wehn you do it commercially like you stated You want to do it goes up to anywhere between $5000.00-$7000.00 dollars. Hope this helps. It's tough to make it up unless you have got plenty of training to do. Some can make it happen. GOOD lUCK to you!!!!

apcooper said:
Did I also hear you need commercial insurance? This doesn't make any sense since flight instruction IS NOT considered a commercial activity by the FAA. It is a part 91 op as we all know so why comm insurance? Enlighten me about this!!
Who ever said that flight instruction is not a commercial activity? It's truly amazing how we hear something and translate it into something that has no relation to it at all.

Flight instruction is not considered by the FAA as an activity that involves the use of commercial pilot privileges. No one ever said that performing flight instruction for hire isn't running a business. Of course it is. And he issuance companies recognize that the risk of letting unqualified people fly the airplane (student solo) is higher than if you were just flying it yourself and maybe letting a couple of friends use it once in a while.

Of course you don't really have to have insurance. If your student has a hard landing and damages the airplane or, god forbid, himself, you can always pay for the damage out of your own pocket. (There are, of course some situations in which insurance is required - state law may require business insurance for all businesses and some airports have insurance requirements for any business operated on the airport)

been there had fun

I did this in a C-150 back in the late 80's and early 90's. Instructing 20 hours a month my dual rate plus airplane was less than a breakeven factor. That also does not count engine reserve for which I should have been putting money away. I then came up with an unfunded $6,000 engine replacement. I did it for fun and got to own my own airplane. The inspections every 100 hours was a big cost, they always found something that needed to be fixed. If you had an A&P who would do this for flight time, you might be a doable deal. At that, time my open pilot insurance for instruction cost me around $2,000/yr for a C-150 valued at $10,000. It ain't a way to make money; I was charging $20/hr for dual and $25 per hour for the airplane. I did run it under a sub chapter “S” Corp and got to take some good tax write off’s for a few years.

Last edited:
I did it for several years in a 172. There were no major obstacles - yes, you do need insurance that covers flight instruction. But that's not a show stopper. Yes, you will need to do 100 hour inspections and again, that's not a show stopper either. You will also likely need to bet a local business licence as well. Like I said, I did it for 3 or 4 years back when I was actively instructing. For me, it turned flight instructing into a very well paying part-time job. It covered the operating costs of the airplane and even made a little profit and I charged the local going rate for dual and put every cent into my pocket.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back