Freedom Air Guam ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CAPTAINAMERICA

Does anyone have any information about pilot employment with Freedom Air's FAR 121 operation based in Guam?

Quality of life?

Schedules?

How hard to get hired at that company while applying from the US Mainland?

Pay?

High turnover or no?

Do they hire long term pilots or only 18 month contract crews as mentioned on the company website?

Thanks in advance.....

I lived in Guam from 19 -24 and had a blast. Yes, I was a diver, but I think I ony went diving 5 or 6 times. There's a cool, laid back mix of Europeans, and Americans on the island. The native Guamanians (Chomorros) are an interesting bunch though. The surrounding islands of Tinian and Saipan are pretty neat to fly to. It's all what you make of it I guess.

Mike-

I heard Guam is so humid that when you fart, it bubbles.

I haven't noticed that but I'll check when I walk out my front door today.

The scheduled departures for Cape Air run the gamut. I think the earliest one is about 2:30am and the last departure is about 10pm. Most of the flights are wide open. Plan on enjoying flying to Saipan, Rota, and Guam because unless they happen to stop into Tinian, there isn't anything else out here for them to land on. The crews all seem to enjoy the flying and are a very accomadating bunch. Thanks for the jumpseat!

I don't know if any Freedom air pilots will chime in but FWIW Cape Air has had several Freedom pilots try to jump ship over to Cape Air. Freedom is officially based in the CNMI which has different immigration rules than Guam, and many of their pilots are Phillipino and don't have the INS status to work in the states. I've also heard many stories about the owner of Freedom, none of them good. However they do pay their FO's more than Cape Air but the Captains less. And the schedule seems easier.

I'd also like to point out that Freedom Air is now CASS and their pilots jumpseat on Cape Air daily but they charge us $10 to catch a ride to Tinian.

Flew the Shorts 3-30 for them in 1998, since then they have a 360, the 330 was trashed during a typhoon.
The Cherokee drivers in Saipan historically were the 18 month guys, if you were to be hired in the Shorts, then it could or would be long term. some, and very few have ever upgraded from the Cherokee to the Shorts.
Good Luck!

the surf is good also, don't be a kook!

Ah, having destroyed an airline in HI now they are going after CAL codeshare partners elsewhere in the Pacific...

Mesa/Freedom Air Sucks,

Nuff said.

Nope, not the same airline.

I like your statement, but I prefer "Perpetual State of Low Pressure" myself...

Fly safe guys.

Ah, having destroyed an airline in HI now they are going after CAL codeshare partners elsewhere in the Pacific...

Mesa/Freedom Air Sucks,

Nuff said.

Living in Guam is a pretty good life. If I were you, I would jump on an 18 month contract with Freedom (assuming they paid you enough to live). Rents range from $800/mo to the stratosphere. There has been a townhouse available for a while on the oceanfront for $1200/mo but it's in a crappy part of town and there is an abandoned tractor trailer rig partially buried in the beach. This is a great launching point for travel to Asia. If you don't like a slower pace of life, though, you will go nuckinfuts. I'm ready to punch out at the end of my contract and get back to real life but it's been a fun ride.

Freedom Air was shut down not too long ago for a short time by the FAA so you might want to look into that.

Latest resources

Back