• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fred a no-show in GSO today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Because, quite frankly, this thread could be about ANY so-called "regional" airline. It was about Midway, It's about Fly-I, it's about Comair and ASA...

This week Comair is fighting for their survival. Next week it could be Air Wisconsin, or PSA, or even Mesa.

This is a situation that we need to understand if we're to make this our profession. Hiding with your head in the sand and thinking, "it'll never happen to me" is foolishness.

H25B is right to bring up other airlines. The Comair bankruptcy is a lesson. We need to all sit down, pick up our #2 pencils, and take notes.

Being furloughed, no matter what stage of your career progression, is never an easy thing to deal with. Be careful of bad karma!!!!!!!!

relief tube said:
2 examples: Jetblue's introductory $29 fares BOS-JFK, & a friend just bought a roundtrip from Midway to orlando for $120. How can anything good come from all this?

Everyone is always quoting how much cheaper all the LCC are and the low, low specials that they run. Newsflash...only a few seats are normally available at those low cost. Ever really done some cost comparsion on route segments? I have actually found segments that were higher on SWA than on NWA when price shopping. But on the flipside I will agree that some carriers were overcharging on walkup tickets. I read somewhere that the SWA marketing dept had done a helluva job at getting the mass market to believe they always had the best price.

Here we go!

Why can't they understand that SWA is not flying at a loss with their low fares and therefore have no clue what they're talking about.

True for this year. Next year SW fuel is only hedged 25% and is expected to cost 600 mil in additional fuel costs. They only made 340 mil or so this year, which is substantially less than the 600 mil it is going to cost next year. They are going to be in the same boat that most of the industry is in.

It seem as though the pendulum is swinging the other way now in favor of the mainline. What do you guys think?

Tim47SIP said:
Why can't they understand that SWA is not flying at a loss with their low fares and therefore have no clue what they're talking about.

True for this year. Next year SW fuel is only hedged 25% and is expected to cost 600 mil in additional fuel costs. They only made 340 mil or so this year, which is substantially less than the 600 mil it is going to cost next year. They are going to be in the same boat that most of the industry is in.

So I suspect you'll see those slight increases in ticket prices that everyone seems to get so hot over in addition to some productivity gains.

BenderGonzales said:
The Comair bankruptcy is a lesson. We need to all sit down, pick up our #2 pencils, and take notes.

It's a lesson all right and as you take notes the first one should be: Comair isn't bankrupt at all. Delta is bankrupt and has dragged Comair into its mess.

Those fools in Atlanta have literally destroyed the best run regional airline in the country.

Unfortunately pilots have no way to prevent their company from being acquired by a collection of incompetents. Therefore we now have to pay the price of the stupidity of Delta Air Lines. About that we have every right to be angry.

And angry we are. Those morons in ATL have taken the best postioned major airline (post 911) and the most profitable airline in the world, and run both of them into the ground in four short years.
Now they run to court to reduce our salary to cover their inability to do their job.
Job 1: write contracts.
Job 2: run airline

Job 3: if you can't do that, get a judge to do it for you.
Job 4:Make sure you have a bullet proof pension, then screw everyone else who has worked for the company.

Latest resources

Back