• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Four Star

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When my family started Four Star in 1981 it was the best becuse we took care of the MX first. The engines went to Miami for overhauls then to some place in OK. Over time these engine places shut down as there were fewer and fewer operators of DC-3's and other radial engined AC. After they cleaned out "Cockroach Corner" at MIA. The availability of parts and mechanics dried up. When 4star used to buy a new airplane. they would by 3 and part 2 of them out to keep the operation running smoothly. Sadly, there are not many of these type of purchases left. Four Star was sold in 2005 to a man who wanted to use the operation to take advantage of tax loopholes in the VI law, Not to run an airlines. They hired the worst CP Atlantic Coast Airlines had seen to run the operation. I am not surprised to see that the operation has collapsed. It is really sad to see.

When my family started Four Star in 1981 it was the best becuse we took care of the MX first. The engines went to Miami for overhauls then to some place in OK. Over time these engine places shut down as there were fewer and fewer operators of DC-3's and other radial engined AC. After they cleaned out "Cockroach Corner" at MIA. The availability of parts and mechanics dried up. When 4star used to buy a new airplane. they would by 3 and part 2 of them out to keep the operation running smoothly. Sadly, there are not many of these type of purchases left. Four Star was sold in 2005 to a man who wanted to use the operation to take advantage of tax loopholes in the VI law, Not to run an airlines. They hired the worst CP Atlantic Coast Airlines had seen to run the operation. I am not surprised to see that the operation has collapsed. It is really sad to see.
You all bought some of our 3s in '97,when we sold our fleet,I believe 303SF was one, with the Snoopy nose art.

7 minute abs

Was in San Juan recently and got to see the 3 that lost it's nose

If they need capts and a DO I would run away as fast as you can...

The best airplane to replace a DC-3 is a DC-3....

And every time I taxi by that -3 with the nose burned off I get the chills. N3 N S to 08 takes you right by it and it looks as if someone took a hot wire to a piece of Styrofoam and just pushed straight down through it.

Stay safe.

Agreed. 4- Star, in it's present state, sounds like a place to stay the @#$% away from! I'm curious though, how do those guys (Everts, and until recently NAC) keep those old DC-6s and C-46s going. From a distance- those airplanes look pretty well taken care of. Whereas down around MIA, the round engined planes (most of em anyway) look rather shoddy, as one would expect.

Not to change the course of this thread, but does the aviation gov't subsidy (if any) help the guys in Alaska with MX, parts ect.? Just wondering how they keep em going in such a rough environment.

It's not that companies like Four Star can't keep equipment running or perform proper maintenance. it's just that they don't. Big difference.

It's not that companies like Four Star can't keep equipment running or perform proper maintenance. it's just that they don't. Big difference.

Amen.

If they need capts and a DO I would run away as fast as you can...

The best airplane to replace a DC-3 is a DC-3....

And every time I taxi by that -3 with the nose burned off I get the chills. N3 N S to 08 takes you right by it and it looks as if someone took a hot wire to a piece of Styrofoam and just pushed straight down through it.

Stay safe.

I spoke to the guy, today in fact, that was drivin that three when she caught on fire. Apparently when he did a fire loop test, the panel caught on fire. (Not good) Damndest thing I've ever heard. When Curtiss ran the show as DOM those A/C were in pretty good shape. When a bean counter gets hold of an airline the end is always the same-It's the end.

Latest resources

Back