• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Typhoon1244

Member in Good Standing
George Patton and Joseph Stalin must be spinning in their graves: picture

You must be missing something DC stands for "Das Communist":)

All I know is...

...that I'm sure my fine Finnish friends are glad to see them go.

Aeroflot has been operating western equipment since about 1995. Nice picture though, hope they enjoy the death cruiser.

LJDRVR said:
Aeroflot has been operating western equipment since about 1995. Nice picture though, hope they enjoy the death cruiser.

Wasn't the engine seperation caused by someone in MX screwing up an engine change?

I was told in a safety class at Riddle (anyone remember Bill Waldock?) that it was the American mx guys changing engines with a forklift instead of a hoist to save time. Worked great but they damaged the mounting bolts which failed causing the departure of the engine on t/o. Good reason not to shortcut the system eh?

LJDRVR said:
Aeroflot has been operating western equipment since about 1995.
Oh, I know. I've seen Aeroflot Seven-Sixes and Seven-Sevens...but, I don't know, the DC-10 just seems like...like more of a symbol of Cold War-era aviation technology.

I can't quite put my finger on the reason, but an Aeroflot DC-10 makes me do a double-take more readily than an Aeroflot 777.

Hey guys,

I'm in no way refering to the ORD mishap, I would never make a post-accident "dig" at a crew or A/C type. The death cruiser moniker is one that I have heard several friends who flew the the-10 use. (The MD-11 is "more death") Please don't read anything into it. I'd be more than happy to go fly one. (I continue to pester World with updates)

Typhoon, I know what you mean bro. The 777 was produced post USSR, whereas the DC-10 in that photo rolled of the LGB line at the latter stages of the height of the cold-war. Airplanes know no politics I guess. The most ironic thing is that with the demise of Omega and the dwindling popularity of and cost of maintaining three INS platforms, that Aeroflot crew is most probably using a GPS-based FMC. Like you, as a former Reagan-trained war robot, I just have to kinda shake my head. What a world.

Last edited:
Yes, but the poor chain-smoking, pollution-eating, government issue vodka-swilling, miserable ex-communist wretches still don't get windows.

Sux to be them.

Latest resources

Back