Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

taloft

Does anybody know anything more about this? From the article:

CHICAGO, June 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Directly in line with the Dubai ports deal, the Bush Administration bypassed Congress and arbitrarily set a rule that changes long-standing aviation law to allow foreign control of U.S. airlines and their operations.

Did this just happen? Can Virgin now happily startup Virgin America without all the previous worries of how much control was in foreign hands?

Also, this quote from the AFA-CWA (Flight Attendants) was particularly interesting.

"This arbitrary change in aviation law will likely trigger the long- awaited industry consolidation which could shake out in favor of foreign airlines to the detriment of the American traveling public. Turning over the industry so vital to our nation's commerce will ripple tsunami waves through our corporations, small businesses and communities. We cannot allow foreign capital to determine which American cities will be provided air service and which will be abandoned when they have no intrinsic interest in our well being."

Has Bush just put and end to the American airline industry?

why not? hes done it with every other industry possible. bravo mr bush. Im glad you and your buddies are multi-millionaire military dodgers. Ive always thought wages were far too high anyway (extreme sarcasm)

big_al said:
why not? hes done it with every other industry possible. bravo mr bush. Im glad you and your buddies are multi-millionaire military dodgers. Ive always thought wages were far too high anyway (extreme sarcasm)

Military dodgers? That's funny, I thought he served in the military.

sleddriver71 said:

Ahh. 1968. What a year. My ex-brother in law got a nice job with IBM right out of college that year. Even came with a National Guard slot to keep him out of Vietnam (off the record, of course).

The burden on the Guard in this war is rather ironic; all things considered.

sleddriver71 said:

good point, he bravely served in the protection of Texas from the VC. God Bless Him...

big_al said:
good point, he bravely served in the protection of Texas from the VC. God Bless Him...
Was America or Texas under attack from the VC? You're confusing me here.

Back in the early "90s, Continental was 25% owned by SAS...nobody complained about that nor mentioned any worries about foreign control.

The argument that the industry needs additional investment capital to fix everything is absolute BS. There is more investment in the aviation industry then there ever has been. It's the lack of ideas that we're short on.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back