Foreign carriers 65 rule?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wuberoo

I need to ask a stupid question but are the foreign carriers going to have many retiring 65ers?

Interesting question actually but too broad to be answered with a simple yes or no because every company's contract with it's pilots is different, ANA for example has on their contract that the retirement age is 60 but has a few provisions where you could fly on one of their subsidiary companies pass the age of 60. But remember that age 65 have been the maximum retirement age internationally for a while now and the attrition due to retirement is pretty high with most established brand airlines (contract at 60 or 65), only airlines that are relatively new have a younger pilot group.

Thanks! Thats what I was looking for. Do you think that the cargo side of these foreign carriers would be the same?

Thanks! Thats what I was looking for. Do you think that the cargo side of these foreign carriers would be the same?

Again we are painting this with a pretty wide paint brush but generally speaking, yes!

PS: I saw that you posted some similar questions on another thread, I'm just hoping you are not making a career decision taking into account such an unscientific approach because I'm not quite sure where you are driving at:confused:

Yes, that was me writing on another area. I am trying to get a feel for possible employment. You are definitely about not using it as a guage though. I really want to fly overseas and particularly cargo/ foreign carriers. I use to live in Japan and just enjoyed it a-lot. I am trying to change careers too so I am getting a lot of information to make an educated guess for the future. Would you have some good suggestions for training to get into the cargo arena for flying? (Besides picking another occupation) I appreciate some of the older pilots' remarks because its not coming from a pimple-faced 18 yr old who barely got back from the prom. ( I know-I have a few)
Thanks in advance.

China doesn't allow foreign pilots the ability to fly beyond age 60. Chinese nationals can fly in the right seat until age 65 although I have never met anyone who has pursued it. Most foreign companies want 500 hours PIC on the particular type of aircraft they are seeking pilots for. This may change in the future. The Middle East is the largest area for first officer pilots ie Emirates, Etihad and Qatar. You can pursue cargo after you have the experience on the particular type the company seeks. For example China Eastern and Air China are currently seeking B-777 Captains for their cargo fleet. Best of Luck!

Thanks for the info. By the way, are you from WY? Im in eastern Idaho. Anyway, is there a way to gear your flight career towards cargo/ foreign by trying to work for the smaller cargo co. or just getting the time through a regional?

Thanks for the info. By the way, are you from WY? Im in eastern Idaho. Anyway, is there a way to gear your flight career towards cargo/ foreign by trying to work for the smaller cargo co. or just getting the time through a regional?

If you have the time on type you are good. Especially in China.

Latest resources

Back