Forced to report @ 270

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

StarChk20

Flying the other day, descending to FL270. Out of FL280 the controller says ATC: "report level at FL270".
Us: "Roger"
ATC: "I need you to report level at FL270"
Us: "We're out of FL276 now and will report level at 270"
ATC: "I need you to report level at FL270 now"
Us at FL274: "ok we are level at FL270"

She needed us to report level at FL270 right away even though we weren't there. Anybody else have this happen/know why it happened?

It could have been a couple of things... either the controller lost your mode-c temporarily and couldnt see your alt read-out. Or maybe she was desceding someone in reference to you and needed to hear the words. Or she may have had a supervisor standing over he shoulder questioning everything.

so you reported at an altitude that you weren't really at just because she wanted you to say you were level at that altitude??

RV

Reporting take precidence over the mode C so that is a way to buy some altitude for the ATCer.

If the controler enters on the computer a hard altitude It will show you level at that altitude when the AC is with in 300', if your using Interim altitudes it will not give you the 300'.

Had you been given an altitude restriction and you were about to miss it? Maybe she was trying to save your a$$.

No cross to make, just a very urgent controller that needed to hear 270. Don't think we were exceeding the rate of decent for mode c either, I think we were only doing about 2000fpm as we were in the process of leveling off. It was about 273/274 that we reported level at 270 since we were in the process of leveling. She just wouldn't let it go until she heard "Level at 270"

Maybe she was about to have a deal and wanted to somehow cover her ass on the tapes. I hear you can get mucho busted for that though, like, loss of job busted.

Well if that is the case and it sounds like it, I would report 700 feet high for the hell of it. Nothing like abusing your authority to cover your ass.

Latest resources

Back