• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShyFlyGuy

Major Member
I spilled my drink when I read this...

I want to know where they get these numbers. I mean, it's Forbes, so they have to take some sort of pride when they do the research.

Here is their answer:

Our numbers are drawn from the U.S. government's National, State and Metropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates. The latest ones available use 2007 data and are based on a national survey of employers of every size and in all industry sectors. They examine 801 occupations.

The survey covers full- and part-time workers who are paid a wage or salary. It does not include the self-employed, owners and partners in unincorporated firms, household workers and unpaid family workers.

It asks about basic pay, incentive bonuses and commissions, but not overtime pay or non-wage compensation, such as stock options.

That helps explain why mean annual wages appear lower than one might have expected at the top end and higher at the bottom, where undocumented workers are unlikely to be counted accurately and sources of cash income like tips are underreported.

Remember, too, that these are mean salaries for what are standardized job categories. They give no indication of how distant the outliers at either end of the salary scale for any occupation might be, nor of variations between subcategories of any particular job.

Lies.

Shy

Look, the whole point of the article is to say that pilots can make that kind of money but does that mean that 90% of us will ever see it? NO

Dang, I'm right between a CEO and a Psychiatrist. What are the odds of THAT one???:nuts:

I think I am going to move to occupation #4. $183,000+ to look at beavers all day long. No problem! I already do it for free!

Flight attendants made the list of top ten most suprising six figure incomes?!? With the top ten making 106,660...not really sure about that one either.

Latest resources

Back