Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skydan

For the life of me I can't find it?

Can someone give me the FAR for a pilot under 135 flying a Lear that he has to have a 1st class med?

§ 135.243 Pilot in command qualifications.

(a) No certificate holder may use a person, nor may any person serve, as pilot in command in passenger-carrying operations—
(1) Of a turbojet airplane, of an airplane having a passenger-seat configuration, excluding each crewmember seat, of 10 seats or more, or of a multiengine airplane in a commuter operation as defined in part 119 of this chapter, unless that person holds an airline transport pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings and, if required, an appropriate type rating for that airplane.

§ 61.23 Medical certificates: Requirement and duration.

(a) Operations requiring a medical certificate. Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, a person—
(1) Must hold a first-class medical certificate when exercising the privileges of an airline transport pilot certificate;

To act as PIC in a Lear under part 135, you need an ATP. To exercise the privilages of an ATP, you need a first class medical. The SIC needs a second class medical to exercise commercial privilages.

-Beer

Last edited:
All true.
But you do not need a first class medical to fly freight only in a turbojet.
You do not need to hold a first class to fly 91 in a turbojet. I know a guy who is doing that now in a Citation.

US Check used to have some guys that held a second class. The problem developed if someone wanted to jump seat with them.
Clear as mud yet?

Only needed if you are flying as an air carrier, passenger ops.

Hung

Latest resources

Back