For the ignorant

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BusdrivnAce

The first thing that I learned about the airbus is that IT is the next generation. Boeing copied the fly-by-wire design with the 777. Being American, I love the Boeing product, but the truth is that from now on, they are going to be chasing the french on this one.

As an A-319/320 instructor, I know more about the systems then most of the pilots that ever touch the plane. The systems are designed with safety in mind and number one. I have ferried aircraft with flight control computers inop, and the plane flew just fine. They put seven controls on the plane for a reason. If one cable snaps, you are taking a header. People make a big deal about the computers all going out at once...that has happened exactly once....and it wasn't the airplane....it was the human element that thought he could do it. Luckly, the manual reversion was able to save the day. As for the earlier references to the Cali crash, the Bus wouldn't have made the turn into the mountian in the first place. The system is totally unreliant on antiquated NDBs for navigation (Internal nav only)....the approaches are completely programmed in the FMS to eliminate errors....and there is a big screen that would show you if there was a big unplanned turn in your future. It wouldn't have even needed the auto spoiler retract function.

Having limited experience in the 737 and 757, as well as having the choice, I would never fly anything other then the Bus

Couple of questions for Busdrivn ace:

What do you mean by "if one cable snaps you're taking a header"?

Never heard of manual reversion on a computer flown Airbus. Can you elaborate?

Why wouldn't the bus hit the mountain in cali? Your explanation makes no sense. The757 wasn't on approach. BTW, all FMS's have the capability for internal approaches. In fact, virtually all NDB approaches are flown as an FMS overlay with the NFP monitering raw data.

How did a 1450 hour civillian pilot get a job in an airbus, anyway? I'm sure a lot of folks would like in on that.

avbug said:
How did a 1450 hour civillian pilot get a job in an airbus, anyway? I'm sure a lot of folks would like in on that.

Avbug,
It's obvious, (not to discount his input at all) that he isn't in an Airbus, He's in an Airbus SIM. I would guess that he works for Cactus.

BusdrivinAce,

If in fact your profile is accurate, congrats. I would have done the same had I had a chance.

8N

Couple of questions

Was I told the truth about there being no mechanical backup for the FADECs?

Is the airplane controllable with absolutely no electrical power? (no FADECs, nor any flight control computers)

Thanks for your input
regards,
8N

I don't know about the fadecs, but there is a ram air turbine that can be deployed to produce sufficient electricity to power the flight controls.

I think the poster suffers from "my plane's the best plane" syndrome. What pilot doesn't?

Brian,

Not me. I'm firmly convinced that while any airplane I'm paid to fly is the greatest airplane in the world to me, at the time...there are no perfectly good airplanes. (Standard reply in answer to the ubiquitous 'why jump out of a perfectly good airplane?' question, and qually applicable here). I've been paid to fly more than a few POS specials.

I was curious about the low time and flying the airbus, as the poster stated that he had ferried airbusses before. He also stated that he loves the boeing products, suggesting that he also flies them. Is ferrying of aircraft an additional sim instructor duty, there?

What does one call multiple airbusses? Airbussi? A gaggle of airbus? Aerobustic masses? Multiairbus? A plethora of airbus (how many airbusi in a plethora?? I would hate to think we would be told of a plethora of airbussi, if the teller didn't know how many airbus go into a plethora...)? Does a gaggle become a herd once on the ground; a herd of taxiiing airbus becomes an airborne gaggle? It's just after noon, and already I'm confused. It's punishment for waking up, today.

Low Time

Get over that "low time" stuff. It is just a bunch of BS here in the States.

There are 300 pilots flying Airbuses and Boeings in Europe with no problems.

I had some 300 hour Swedish kids in the B-737NG in Stockholm this summer that would water your eyes.

BusdrivnAsc said:

As for the earlier references to the Cali crash, the Bus wouldn't have made the turn into the mountian in the first place. The system is totally unreliant on antiquated NDBs for navigation (Internal nav only)....the approaches are completely programmed in the FMS to eliminate errors....and there is a big screen that would show you if there was a big unplanned turn in your future. It wouldn't have even needed the auto spoiler retract function.

WTF over... This is some prime flame-bait..

If they were flying an A320 and dialed in a incorrect NDB into the FMS.. same events would have prevailed.

Re: Low Time

Little Duece said:
Get over that "low time" stuff. It is just a bunch of BS here in the States.

Why does this not surprise me?

I had some 300 hour Swedish kids in the B-737NG in Stockholm this summer that would water your eyes.

300 hrs?

Boy that really reinforces my opinion about overseas carriers; I thought that most Euro-carriers were far and removed from the practices of Singapore et al…

A 300 hr pilot has about as much business in the right seat of a 737 as I do commanding the Space Shuttle.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Latest resources

Back