Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Re: For the ignorant

Jepp2Jet said:
WTF over... This is some prime flame-bait..

If they were flying an A320 and dialed in a incorrect NDB into the FMS.. same events would have prevailed.

The kid plainly does not understand the cause of the AA Cali crash; if he did he wouldn’t have made such a statement.

Second I’m curious about the NDB claim. Since most Scarebuses operate overseas where NDB airways are common this seems a bit odd don’t cha think?

He says the system is totally unreliant on antiquated NDB’s so… does this mean they have zero capability to tune/track/fly NDB’s period? I assume they are in the box, they would have to be if nothing more than for the approaches.

Any bus drivers care to chime in on that one?

Also what’s this “internal Nav only”? The system would have to rely on ground-based updates to ensure the quality of the navigation being done by the computer we use scanning VOR/DME. If this is true it speaks a lot about the bus.

As far as the Bus vs. Boeing you have to understand that Boeing builds planes with the pilots in mind, Scarebus builds planes with protecting it from the pilot as much as possible not a good idea in my opinion.

LA

:confused:

A320 Instructor Boy is REAL Ignrorant

The 757

Overview:
The IRS consists of 3 intertial refrence units controlled by a single Intertial mode selector panel. The IRUs provide intertial informaion to any system requiring it;

1. Attitude
2. Acceleration
3. Ground Speed and track
4. True and magnetic heading
5. Present lat and long
6. Wind speed and direction
The IRUs must be aligned before they can supply all the data listed above.

They are aligned by entering present position in lat and long format and letting the computer;

1. Define new references for true north
2. Establishes your present position (using your input)
3. Sets groundspeed to zero

The Flight management computer uses IRS position, velocity, heading, and altitude as basic navigation refrences. When all three inputs are availableeach FMC computes a position as an AVERAGE of the three IRU inputs. This position is then updated with DME-DME or VOR-DME.

*FMC POSITIONS ARE UPDATED WITH VOR/DME NOT THE IRUs
POSITION

As for the Cali incident. The NDB was selected in the FMC (there happened to be 2 or 3 that showed up, normally the first one is geographically closest to you and your route of flight, it wasn't this time.) The plane did what the FMC told it to do, go to that point. The A320 would do the same thing, tell it to go to a point and it will fly you there.

The 737-800 is more like the A320. We had GPSs that updated the FMC, and could fly an NDB approach with no ADF onboard. The 737-800 will do the same thing. It will fly you into a mountain if you tell it go there.

As for low time, they are a lot of sharp guys with low time. The Gulf Air A320 had a captain with about 2000 hours FLIGHT time (do not count fe time).1000 in the right esat and 89 as captain. The FO had about 300-500 total time and very little in the A320.
In the end they didn't know what the f*&^ they were doing as they impacted the water at over 300knts.
So Instructor of all knowing why did the airbus let our pilots fly into the water, but would not allow them to fly into a mountain?

AAflyer:eek:

P.S> Please speak real easy for me, since I am only a line pilot and do not understand systems nearly as well as yourself

Last edited:
BusdrivnAce said:
The first thing that I learned about the airbus is that IT is the next generation. Boeing copied the fly-by-wire design with the 777. Being American, I love the Boeing product, but the truth is that from now on, they are going to be chasing the french on this one.

As an A-319/320 instructor, I know more about the systems then most of the pilots that ever touch the plane. The systems are designed with safety in mind and number one. I have ferried aircraft with flight control computers inop, and the plane flew just fine. They put seven controls on the plane for a reason. If one cable snaps, you are taking a header. People make a big deal about the computers all going out at once...that has happened exactly once....and it wasn't the airplane....it was the human element that thought he could do it. Luckly, the manual reversion was able to save the day. As for the earlier references to the Cali crash, the Bus wouldn't have made the turn into the mountian in the first place. The system is totally unreliant on antiquated NDBs for navigation (Internal nav only)....the approaches are completely programmed in the FMS to eliminate errors....and there is a big screen that would show you if there was a big unplanned turn in your future. It wouldn't have even needed the auto spoiler retract function.

Having limited experience in the 737 and 757, as well as having the choice, I would never fly anything other then the Bus

ROFLMAO!!!!

Methinks a 15 year old MS Flight Sim guru got hold of an A320 manual. :D

Minh

Latest resources

Back