For the Flt Option and USAJet guys...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VADriver

Why Union? A union is needed for both collective and personal reasons..

Collective. Better wages and work rules. It is simply human nature to defer responsibility and look for solutions at someone else's expense. The fact is companies are built on the backs of all employees, why should the CEOs and VPs get all the cash? Employees are due their FAIR share.

Personal. Usually this applies when something has gone wrong and your tail is in a sling. Sometimes justified, but usually not. It easier for the company to fire you than admit they have a bad procedure or manger. Now, at your termination meeting who do you want looking out for your best interest? The Chief pilot? He has his own career he's trying to protect (and you have yours). If you were arrested would you have the prosecutor represent you, as well as the state? Would you count on him to look out for you? Get union.

What is a union? Since ALPA is the only one I have been in, (I'm not saying ALPA is the right or only choice for your property) I can tell you ALPA is more democratic than the USA itself. In addition, it is a volunteer organization.

>>This is the real kicker, and it is quickly forgotten! 90% of a unions' membership doesn't even know how their dues money functions. They are indifferent until they readily need the union, then they expect fellow pilot volunteers to work even harder to protect their own career and paycheck. When they don't get the service they presume to be entitled to or they don't understand how the process works, they complain that unions are worthless.

If you vote (damm, that democratic word again) union on the property, you'd better be prepared to volunteer. What happens after the union is voted in? Do you expect magicians to appear and do your work? Who is going to be your President? Vice? Grievance? Communications? Secretary/Treasurer? Hotel? Retirement and Insurance? Training? Scheduling? You? Are YOU going to do it? Maybe the guy to your right will? Somebody will, won't they? If you don't, the company will divide and conquer better than Crandall!

Read this book before your organizing drive kicks in...it is managements playbook and they will use it...Confessions of a Union Buster

One reason unions are losing favor or value is many of the work standards that have become federal law were once big union issues, like the 40h work week. It's quite possible that unions are their own demise...but when safety is involved, a union will always be needed.

ALPA was formed in 1931. (the ATA, airline managements own representation, was formed in 1936, in part to counter ALPA's political effectiveness in DC) Where is Pan Am, TWA, Eastern, Braniff, (old) National? With UAL and UASIR on the chopping block, ALPA has been around longer for a reason. (no its not ALPA's fault, keep reading...)

As much as management loves to blame labor, pilots don't run airlines. Management won't agree to strangling wages, and pilots are all too willing to take cuts to save the company. Unions are simply a system of checks and balances. Unions want the company to succeed, just not at their own, and only their own, expense. Unions don't destroy companies. Bad management does!!

Now, ALPA like any organization, has its faults. But so does the US gov't and the church, however people aren't renouncing their US citizenship or God. Once again, unions are run by the membership, which is each and every pilot (worker)...so if you are union member and you don't like what you see....

Look in the mirror!

Last edited:
A very accurate picture of how ALPA does and should work.

Right on traget. You get out of a union what you put into it. ALPA is a franchise and each airline council can make as much or as little of it as their membership is willing to.

Volunteer, communicate and be involved and the union does great things. Bitch, gripe and complain about why nobody is doing anything about your situaition and nothing will change.

ALPA

ALPA was contacted by the pilots at USA Jet back in 1999, they said our pilot group was too small, under 100 at that time. ALPA said they had a threshold number of pilots needed to start any organization and we were too small. So much for ALPA wanting to look out for the interests of the "Pilot Brother Hood". From an outsiders point of view it was about an economic decision of how much dues could be generated to off set organizational costs. Much like management's decision to engage in airline service or not. Speaking of the ALPA pilot brother hood, how about the EAL ALPA members that crossed the IMA picket line to take the FE jobs in the 60's, how about the CAL guys who crossed the line and were then welcomed back into the fold, how about the ALPA guy who gets out his scab list when you are jumpseating to see if you are on it, normally the F/O, but I have never heard of a guy getting the list out when he is looking for a jumpseat to see if one of the crewmembers offering him a ride is on the list. I am a former union member, when Zantop elected to go out of business (almost) we were all let go, the union did nothing to attmpt to find us another job, or get us training to increase our chances of getting another job. They only took dues out of our last pay check. Then Zantop elected not to go out of business and said it would have to renegoiate the contract, everyone took a cut in pay and days off, where an Electra Capt made about the same as a F/O at USA Jet, a non-union company. In defense of ALPA, it has made the airline job a fantastic job, and stopped alot of bad practices by management. Like the ALPA Air carrier I used to work, TA, they used to lay off 1st year pilots and then rehire them, at first year wages a couple weeks later, fully trained, ready for a trip the day they returned, but still a first year pay for another year, not second. They have set the standards followed by most companies in the airline industry, but they are not the "BrotherHood" of pilots, they are a business that sells dues.

Last edited:
Union

My experience with teamsters 747 was they took my money and did absolutely nothing for it. A rep. did'nt even show at the termination meeting. My time at YIP was the least enjoyable flying of my career. On a positive the crews were fun(mostly) and the ownership was inept. Move on to bigger and better.

Latest resources

Back