? for MD80 Drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Correction

Justapilot was correct, I miss wrote, sometimes typing and thinking do not alway produce the statement you were wishing to get a cross.

Second, I undertand the concept of I do not want to hear more garbage than I have too, but I believe the verbage to change to those callout came after LIT. As a pilot I agree, but throw in a legal team, or people at training academy that do not always fly the line, and you will end up with callouts that may look good on paper, but are backwards in the cockpit.

AAflyer

another ??? for you mad dog drivers...

concerning the md that had an engine problem the other night in nashville. any thoughts on why the crew chose to fly around for 2.5 - 3 hours single engine (according to the local news)? of course, to burn fuel and get below mlw i guess, but doesn't this aircraft have the capability to dump fuel? seems kinda risky to fly around single engine as opposed to landing above mlw. any thoughts or ideas on what happened?

Anaconda,

I won't speculate on anything or second guess the decisions the crew made, but I will answer one of your questions.

No, the MD-80 has no fuel dump capability.

Last edited:
That is correct the MD80 has no fuel dump capability. Assuming a max gross T/O at 149.5K and landing at 130K that's 19.5K of fuel to burn off. Flying around at low altitude for 2-3 hours or so sounds about right to burn down the weight. Yes there are provisions for overweight landings but it was just a failure of one of the engines, not a life threatening reason to get the plane on the ground immediately. I wasn't there, it wasn't my call. Anyway we get paid by the minute don't we.

Latest resources

Back