• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Food stamps....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It can't be all that difficult...look at who uses them most. If you qualify, get them and use them for as long as possible.

Consider it "reclaiming" some of the money the tax thieves stole from you at the point of a gun. Never hesitate to take the government's money because it actually YOURS.

Unfortunately, you can't buy beer with them. Well, nothing is perfect.

i applied once and got denied....

you have to go down town to the human resource building or someting like that.

Best bet is to do a search on the internet for the state in which you live.

Years ago I worked as a caseworker for the PA welfare department. I do not remember the whole process, so here goes as best as I can remember.

In PA, one central office covered food stamps, medical, and cash assistance. Medicaid was offered with the higher of the low incomes, followed by food stamps and then cash assistance (lowest incomes).

If you apply for food stamps, you might as well see what the requirements are and if you are eligible for medicaid (even if you are not sick, you may need to periodically visit the doctor). You are in the office anyway, why not fill out a few more forms? You are not obligated to take or use it, so you might as well see what is offered.

Look up the welfare office in the government pages of the telephone book. Give them a call. Bring your most recent pay stubs, rental or mortgage receipts, a copy of a lease if your have it indicating the rental amount. Bring in copies of an electric or phone bill (used to help validate your address).

Depending on where you live, bring in any heating bills, and heating is considered essential in many places and you may get monetary assistance for heat.

You may have to provide copies of your bank account statements (they want to make sure you do not have other money which could you be using). Maybe copies of any retirement plans (401K, IRAs).

Do you own a car or have transportation to work (bring in the onwership papers or if you are still making payments, bring those in also).

Bring in any business related expenses (travel, parking, cell phone, uniform, food).

If you have children, you may also be able to qualify for child care assitance.

Bring in any other debt you may have.

I did a quick search on google, and these are the requirements for Florida:

Eligibility Requirements

Individuals must meet all factors of eligibility to get food stamp benefits. Some of the factors of eligibility are:

Identity - A person must show proof that they are the person as claimed.

Work Rules - Able-bodied adults, 18 to 50 years of age, who do not have dependent children, can only get food stamps in 3 months in a 3-year period, if they are not working or participating in a work or workfare program, at least 20 hours per week.

Income and Deductions - Households must have monthly gross income less than or equal to 130% of the federal poverty level and net income less than or equal to 100% of the federal poverty level. Households containing individuals, age 60 or older or disabled must only meet the net monthly income limit. Some household expenses may be subtracted from the monthly income in the food stamp budget. Deductions are given for shelter expenses, child-care, medical, child support, and earnings.

Other Eligibility Requirements:

An individual must live in the state of Florida.

An individual must be a U.S. citizen or an individual who has a qualified noncitizen status.

Individuals must provide the number from the Social Security Administration or proof that application has been submitted for the number.

Certain individuals are required to cooperate with the state's child support enforcement agency to establish paternity and obtain child support.

Households may have up to $2000 in assets (ex. Bank accounts and property, but not the home you live in or cars worth less than $8500) or if at least one person is age 60 or older or disabled, their household may have up to $3000 in assets.

bafanguy said:
Consider it "reclaiming" some of the money the tax thieves stole from you at the point of a gun. Never hesitate to take the government's money because it actually YOURS.

No, It is mine. And the "tax thieves" didnt steal YOUR money from you, your airlines management team did. Fight back (toward airline management).

Yeah Im living the dream... This is great, I love what I do, but in my time off I cant afford to do anything! Thanks for the ifo I should qualify.

bafanguy said:
It can't be all that difficult...look at who uses them most. If you qualify, get them and use them for as long as possible.

Unfortunately, you can't buy beer with them. Well, nothing is perfect.

A few yyears ago when I was in school (mid 80's) we could buy food with them and you would get cash for change....that was our beer money. (Stamps for grill food and change for the beer!) Maybe its different now.

Two things came to my mind when I read this thread: 1. Vladimir must be another Pinnacle pilot with a camera. 2. Make sure that when you apply you go in your uniform. Also, call your local newspaper and see if they would like to do a story on the life of a commuter pilot. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back