FMS warning for non-aligned takeoff?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mynameisjim said:
I find it humorous that many pilots think safety systems are unimportant. If we don't want a runway alignment system, what else would you take off your airplane? No T/O warning horn? GPWS? EGPWS? RADAR? Gear Horn? Overspeed Clacker? How about the minimums bug?

How about just get rid of the master caution light. A REAL pilot should be always monitoring his systems.

Get real guys, and stop pretending that we don't make mistakes.

I prefer to read books without bookmarks, because real readers should be able to remember the page they were on. I mean, come on.

I don't think anyone here is implying that safety systems are unimportant. However, I think it is very important that we, as pilots, do not become too complacent and totally rely on the warning systems. The warning systems are there to supplement us and warn us if we miss something.

August 16, 1987. Northwest Airlines 255, an MD-82. The flaps and slats were not set for takeoff, but the crew was able to advance the throttles anyway. But, there is supposed to be a horn to warn you that something is wrong. Why did it not sound? Because the circuit breaker was pulled.

The warning systems are only as good as they are designed to be.

I wonder how many times an aircraft has taken off the wrong runway in OMA or BWI. The reason we never heard about it is because all intersecting runways are long enough.

SDF2BUF2MCO said:
That is true but if the news people were correct (big if, I know), 8/26 had a "wide shoulder" that actually gives the appearance that is 150' wide....and I hope you're perfect in all your flights.
.Ok, if that wasn't noticeable, what is your explanation about the heading difference. You always verify that before you start the takeoff roll. You learn that from day one of flight school. We are talking about taking off from the wrong runway.This does not require perfection. I still have trouble beleiving that is what they did.

CatYaack, Good Stuff.
I too have some simple checks I do that my father taught me (20k+ hours and still flying professionally in his 70's). On runway line up for takeoff, or before crossing the threshold on landing, for example. Make them simple and make them habits. It works.
By the way, for those young guys who think it can't happen to them, one of my Dad's favorite sayings is "There's those who have, and those who will, and I'm trying to put mine off as long as possible". He's done a good job so far, I hope I can do the same.

Last edited:
cjdriver said:
CatYaack, Good Stuff.
I too have some simple checks I do that my father taught me (20k+ hours and still flying professionally in his 70's). On runway line up for takeoff, or before crossing the threshold on landing, for example. Make them simple and make them habits. It works.
By the way, for those young guys who think it can't happen to them, one of my Dad's favorite sayings is "There's those who have, and those who will, and I'm trying to put mine off as long as possible". He's done a good job so far, I hope I can do the same.

Like BVT says, your father's a wise man. I guess we all want to be like that..."putting it off" until we hang it up by doing whatever it takes to cheat the Fate.

I'm seeing a lot of the "invincible" hazardous attitude in this thread. If there is a safety system that would make me safer, sign me up.

I like to enable the "lrn position" (think it stands for long range position although I'm probably wrong) display when I set up the FMS. It displays an "x" on the selected MFD where the gps derived position is. Ideally the gps position and the fms derived position (indicated by the little airplane graphic) should be one and the same and an "x" seems to always mark the airplane. On takeoff in the RJ when you press the toga buttons the FMS derived position is updated to the lat long of the runway that your programmed into the FMS. If there is a mismatch between your freshly updated FMS position and your GPS position you should see on your MFD a displacement between the "little airplane" and the "x". This is a handy trick that works well in ATL with the runway specific RNAV procedures and could save you some explaining later. Don't know how well this would work at an airport like LEX where the ends of the two runways are located so close together. Learned this on IOE at ASA. Fortunately have never seen this in action but the idea seems sound. Do any of you guys do this?

Latest resources

Back