FMS warning for non-aligned takeoff?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BigShotXJTdrvr said:
Those who have taxied to 22 at LEX at night know how easy it is to want to just turn left and line up on 26.

Just about every time I've been there under similar conditions, I have had to fight that natural tendency, read the signs and go real slow around that whole cocked-up hold line/runway cross/left turn/2nd hold line/2nd runway area. It is so easy to see how this could happen. I haven't been there in a while, but I hear there is contruction and as a result it's currently even MORE confusing than usual. This really could have been any of us.

I agree. While not overly "confusing", at LEX it is not as obvious as most airports are because of the 'V' area where the runways are close together. Gainesville, FL (GNV) is another one that comes to mind. However, (I think) the shorter runway there is longer than 3400'. Maybe there should be a sign that says "No Jets Allowed" or "Bugsmashers Only". Major airports like STL have a similar situation but the runways are plenty long.
Like HJ asked, you'd think the FMS would be capable of doing routinely. Perhaps Honeywell, et.al. will make it part of the package.
Regarding automation, I would like to think that over the last 20 years it has prevented more accidents than it has caused. We'll never really know the benefits because the accident never happened. From a pilot perspective, it is more "fun" to hand fly though.

Last edited:
Hugh Jorgan said:
I can think of 49 reasons.

...and rest assured, because of this accident, RAAS will be mandated for all Part 25 aircraft just like GPWS was after a series of accidents. My airline was also testing the system and had it turned off due to too many distractions, but an improved version will soon be coming to a cockpit near you. It would have prevented this accident and will prevent accidents in the future.

St. Paul downtown has 2 runways that are VERY closely aligned like that too. Just 10 degrees off each other. It is very confusing, even when you haven't woken up at 4 am after probably 5 hours of sleep.

I find it humorous that many pilots think safety systems are unimportant. If we don't want a runway alignment system, what else would you take off your airplane? No T/O warning horn? GPWS? EGPWS? RADAR? Gear Horn? Overspeed Clacker? How about the minimums bug?

How about just get rid of the master caution light. A REAL pilot should be always monitoring his systems.

Get real guys, and stop pretending that we don't make mistakes.

I prefer to read books without bookmarks, because real readers should be able to remember the page they were on. I mean, come on.

Charty said:
8/26 is only 75ft. wide.39 degree difference. How many clues do you need? Be observant.

That is true but if the news people were correct (big if, I know), 8/26 had a "wide shoulder" that actually gives the appearance that is 150' wide....and I hope you're perfect in all your flights.

mynameisjim said:
I find it humorous that many pilots think safety systems are unimportant. If we don't want a runway alignment system, what else would you take off your airplane? No T/O warning horn? GPWS? EGPWS? RADAR? Gear Horn? Overspeed Clacker? How about the minimums bug?

How about just get rid of the master caution light. A REAL pilot should be always monitoring his systems.

I prefer to read books without bookmarks, because real readers should be able to remember the page they were on. I mean, come on.

That's how I brief my crew..."Are you guys ready to make some mistakes! We're only human! Tell the passengers we're keeping our fingers crossed for a safe arrival but we should be okay because my Mommy's up here holding my hand."

mynameisjim said:

My thoughts exactly.

FlyBunny said:
Funny...

I'm wondering if you'd said the same with 9E or Mesa, or Jetstream accident. Interesting how our sentiments change when the accident is caused by sheer mistakes of so-called 'experienced' pilots compared to less experienced pilots that 9E, Mesa, etc., are accused of hiring.

Why can't we just say that it was a pilot's error and and nothing else. Yep, I can see 'spin-zone' at maximum power.

Sad indeed what has happened, but sad also how everyone has a different perspective. F/O 44 (hired 3/99), Captain, 35 (hired 11/99), wow...now you can't point a finger at so-called low-experience...so, let's just start feeling empathy.

Almost comical!

Because we don't know what actually happned yet. Yes we know thye went off the wrong runway, but we do not know WHY.

Latest resources

Back