FMS Database Updates - Maintenance Logbook Entry

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NCherches

Is it true that a log-book entry is required for an FMS Database Update? Are many operators doing this?

§ 91.417 Maintenance records.
(a) Except for work performed in accordance with §§91.411 and 91.413, each registered owner or operator shall keep the following records for the periods specified in paragraph (b) of this section:
(1) Records of the maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alteration and records of the 100-hour, annual, progressive, and other required or approved inspections, as appropriate, for each aircraft (including the airframe) and each engine, propeller, rotor, and appliance of an aircraft.

Appendix A to Part 43—Major Alterations, Major Repairs, and Preventive Maintenance
"(32) Updating self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted Air Traffic Control (ATC) navigational software data bases (excluding those of automatic flight control systems, transponders, and microwave frequency distance measuring equipment (DME)) provided no disassembly of the unit is required and pertinent instructions are provided. Prior to the unit's intended use, an operational check must be performed in accordance with applicable sections of part 91 of this chapter."

You wouldn't need to make a CESCOM MTR entry for updating your databases...keeping a record of database updates onboard the airplane (much like a VOR check) satisfies the requirement.

In aviation the answer to all questions is.....Depends.

My understanding of 43.3, 43.5 and Appendix A is that if the aircraft has less than 9 seats you can always update the FMS, assuming there isn't a complicated assembly. If you are part 91 (not 135, 121 or 91K) a pilot can always update the database if it is not a complicated assembly.

All of that can be trumped if the certificate holder (read 135, 121 or 91K) has alternate approved procedures in their maintenance program.

As for log book entries. At the 135 operators where I could update the database, I had no logbook entry to make. At the 135 operator where I could not update the database, the mechanic made an entry into the log book.

My understanding is that if you get ramp checked, the only proof that you need that the FMS is up to date is the FMS itself. If it shows you are up to date that is all that matters.

But, then again, I'm not a mechanic so I could be reading that all wrong.

Our FAA POI said it's preventive maintenance, and there was a recent AIN email sent out about this also. It does need to be record in some form. 135 is an issue with the pilots doing it, although they can be trained and approved to do this per 135. For you nay sayers, think about how the MEL comes into play when the database has expired.

Since hearing this I scribble on the 'comments' section of the CESCOM log "FMS Updated XX/XX/XX" ... mainly out of bordom on the long legs.

Latest resources

Back